Technical Helplines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought id have your thoughts on technical helplines.

This may turn into a long discusion, but what are all your thoughts, which technical helplines to you rate in the gas industry and why? which dont you rate and why?

Sponsored Links
I rate that only gas registered people should normally be asking ( only very rarely! ) to boiler tech help.

Tony

100% correct. all trade technical helplines should be asking for our gas safe numbers before they give advice.

I ask the question as a trade customer, we all have our preferences on which boilers we fit, and this normally depends on the support we get if needed from either the respective tech helplines or the service helplines when the boiler you have just fitted will not fire.

So I still ask the question who do you rate and who dont you and why?

Boiler makers should give relevant advice to electricians about supplies or thermostat connections etc.

Also to plumbers about heating circuits, pipe sizing and flow rates.

BUT boiler dimensions should be quoted to homeowners by sales staff and NOT tech staff.

Particularly, boiler tech help should NOT be used to compensate for a lack of training in fault finding. 90% of the calls they get are from people who dont know what they are doing!

Sometimes I answer those calls from people who want me to wait on the line for 30 min as they do each test in turn!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I have to admit that from what ive heard some of the calls the tech teams take are incredibly simple, and beyond help. Latest I was alerted too:

engineer: boiler wont fire plenty of gas there
tech advisor: whats your standing pressure
engineer: ill just check........ 22mb
tech advisor: as the boiler attemps to fire does the pressure drop
engineer: er...... yeah down to 13mb
tech advisor: :mad: how long is the gas run, and what size
engineer: about 10meters all in 15mm
tech advisor: :rolleyes:
engineer: :?:

There are too many 'Short course' repair engineers out there these days.

BTW me not being one of them! dont be fooled by by my forum name.........

some stats from a well known brand during december 2010:

average calls taken each day: 1300

no matter how you look at it a vast majority of those calls were 'hand holding' newly qualified engineers.

im all for free advice, i dont use them alot but really? while we the vast majority do not need to call is there that many out there who are so newly qualified they need the hand holding with help? on the back of a comment from another post are we suprised if certain tech lines struggle to answer the calls when we really need them???

i still ask the original question, who do we rate or not and why?? it has a huge impact on wha we fit! It does me anyway! with so much new technology in boilers these days (and you fit alot per year) its impossible that you would not come across a handful that fail on 'first fire' and to know you have quality tech advice on hand is surely a bonus to any brand???

So who do you rate/not rate and why..........

Vaillant are good if you get in touch but there is more chance of man utd catching Lfc for euro cups, Worcester & baxi are excellent ideal are useless

With technical lines it depends how far you get through the layers of knowledge.

On answering the phone you get a 1st stage tech help person and they will pretty much read a script out.

If you confuse them you get through to someone with a bit more knowledge in their heads.

I tend to give the 1st person that answers the call so much information they just pass me on to someone else :LOL:

Best i think ive spoken to was johnson and starley.

Good, J&S, Gledhill, Vokera Bad, Worcester(arrogant f**ks), Baxi(waiting, clueless)

but I think it all depends on who you get on the day. I may use a tech line maybe once a month tops. i hear a lot of bad about Ideal tech but last few times ive called them they've been ok. I often find the smaller rubbish manufacturers have the better tech guys

In no order, WB, though I have fitted just one, Vaillant once you have got through, Viessmann (but their installation books are pants) BAXI are fine (as long as you have a multimeter already in your hand and are familiar with it..)

Ariston? (MTS?) Nope,

DH

I love tech lines! They make me moist!

But on a serious note! What people have to understand is the tech line can only be as good as the engineer phoning in! As i agree asking for the GS number is all well and good there are just as many GS eng who are clueless and need to go back to school! My main issue with tech lines are people phoning in who want to be told what the fault is without doing anything with the boiler, sometimes before even getting there or taking the case off! The problem with modern day boilers user interfaces is that when a fault code comes up they think thats it, they wanna know what the fault means and what part to change...

"can you tell me what it is before i head off as i want to get all the parts ready for when i get there"

Erm.....no.

My idea of what a tech line should offer is: The eng should altleast have gone through the manual, takien the cover off! gone through all relevant basic checks (Elecguys post is prime example) check your ****ing basics!! Then when all possibilities have been looked at phone the tech guys. It will make your life and their life much easier. I personally prefer Baxi but thats just me......... ;P

I agree with doing the basics. don't forget the reason we all sit on the phone for 30 minutes waiting to be connected is because they are helping some no hoper who hasn't done anything and wants to be walked through it.

having said that I have phoned most of the tech lines and find most of them pretty average. sometimes you get someone really good and it makes a big difference. that bloke dave at ideal is fantastic, really knows his onions.

asking for GS numbers is pointless really, they will either have one or use a fake.

Sponsored Links
Back