Technical Helplines

I think we are in agreement, we need more information to allow us to repair boilers more efficiently. The issue is how do manufacturers deliver the information to the right people.

Your idea for a separate fault finding manual is spot on, but my point is that with the correct information you would not have to be led by the nose to the fault.

You almost need a separate (I know, not more) ACS assessment to prove some competence in fault finding.

Repairing boilers is a big part of what we do, we have worked for boiler manufacturers on warrantied products and the information that you are privy to gives you a head start. don't misunderstand me you still have to have the aptitude, the mind that wants to find out how something works.

PS Hope im not comeing across like i know all the answers

Sponsored Links
Agreed!

I was shocked to find out that tech advisors don't need no formal qualification?! There surely should be somthing other than competence???

I agree also with being led by the nose, but unfortunately there are many many "engineers" out there that 100% rely on tech help before they have even touched the boiler! case still on, and sometimes un aware of what type of boiler it even is! Luckily not everyone is like that!!! :p

No you are not coming across as knowing it all! :D

There was a post recently about an installer who was talking to a well knowm manus tech line , who could hear verbal abuse directed at him by some one else talking to the tech line adviser !

not interested in wether any tech line adviser has qualifications ! freindly is important , some tech lines are a waste of time & space !

Sponsored Links
I was shocked to find out that tech advisors don't need no formal qualification?!
You might be equally as shocked at the questions posed to unqualified merchanting staff by allegedly competent and qualified installers who expect the right answers then go away and complete installations/repairs based on said information/recommendations!

You went to college, you earn the big bucks. They get 5 minutes training from a colleague, if they're lucky, and get paid a pittance.
Sort it yourself, clever b*ll*cks!

Not aimed at you wonderfull expert installers on here, obviously. :evil:

I was shocked to find out that tech advisors don't need no formal qualification?!
You might be equally as shocked at the questions posed to unqualified merchanting staff by allegedly competent and qualified installers who expect the right answers then go away and complete installations/repairs based on said information/recommendations!

You went to college, you earn the big bucks. They get 5 minutes training from a colleague, if they're lucky, and get paid a pittance.
Sort it yourself, clever b*ll*cks!

Not aimed at you wonderfull expert installers on here, obviously. :evil:

Can't think of a single thing I would need to ask an untrained counter assistant, a good counter assistant who knows his trade may offer his advice on a possible, new product, new producer etc, I might even take his suggestion and try it, if you are too stubborn to listen to others you may be in the wrong trade.

There was a post recently about an installer who was talking to a well knowm manus tech line , who could hear verbal abuse directed at him by some one else talking to the tech line adviser !

not interested in wether any tech line adviser has qualifications ! freindly is important , some tech lines are a waste of time & space !

Where was this posted? Would love to read it!! :mrgreen:

Where was this posted? Would love to read it!! :mrgreen:

In the CC a week or so ago !!

I think they should address everyone as sir or madam, I can only speak for myself, but have been in sutuations where you call someone mate or dear etc, wow ! you would think you had been abusive to them.
2nd part of my answer is that if manufacturers put the correct sort of information into there MI book we would'nt need to call technical line.

This made me chuckle... If there werent as many engineers out there that didnt know what they were doing then technical lines wouldnt be needed.

Iv visited some manufacturers and sat with their technical line and the calls are unbelieveable!

"the boiler isnt firing with demand"... answer: there was no switch live! people should try testing and working things out instead of relying on these technical lines.

don`t care as long they can help me isolate the problem

100% agree mate............. ;)

I'd love to be taking the calls in the Technical Dept. call centre when some of the tw.ts on here phone in................ :LOL: :LOL:

It would be a right laff, with these Sanatgen Junkies on the line....... :LOL: :LOL:

I aint to fussy what they call me but not sir or madame or pal or anything else that annoys me :LOL: . I have been doing repairs for 15/20 years and still am learning ,I have worked on boiler and the manufacturers dont even know what the problem is , Now if they cannot fix it what fooking chance do i have :rolleyes: . I recently went to a bosch combi where the guy just moved in , I checked usual stuff all ok, switched boiler off did soundness test tried to switch back on and power button would not stay ok , Called bosch defo new PCB required , got new board next day installed board and then noticed water puddle under boiler , What the fook ,this was new and not there yesterday, I called bosch and was told could be seal or hair line crack etc :rolleyes:. I removed the new board and put the old back in switched on all working fine , Fooked off and swallowed price off board :evil: . Bottom line i am happy when I fix it, I might have to start reading the manuals :LOL:

I aint to fussy what they call me but not sir or madame or pal or anything else that annoys me :LOL: . I have been doing repairs for 15/20 years and still am learning ,I have worked on boiler and the manufacturers dont even know what the problem is , Now if they cannot fix it what fooking chance do i have :rolleyes: . I recently went to a bosch combi where the guy just moved in , I checked usual stuff all ok, switched boiler off did soundness test tried to switch back on and power button would not stay ok , Called bosch defo new PCB required , got new board next day installed board and then noticed water puddle under boiler , What the fook ,this was new and not there yesterday, I called bosch and was told could be seal or hair line crack etc :rolleyes:. I removed the new board and put the old back in switched on all working fine , Fooked off and swallowed price off board :evil: . Bottom line i am happy when I fix it, I might have to start reading the manuals :LOL:

Exactly. Technical lines should be used when genuine help is needed. Far too many people pull up at a job... ring the technical line whilst they are sat in the van and expect the person on the end of the phone to do all the hard work. These people know who they are and should be ashamed of themselves. They get a part based on what the technical team has told them, and when it doesnt fix the problem they point the finger at the tec line. At the end of the day they can only give you an answer based on the information you give so when these people tell tales about what they are getting e.g "yes im getting the 21mb inlet pressure i need...." when actually they are getting 2mb on the inlet working and they end up changing the gas valve.

NB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back