Technology

Is technology getting worse/becoming utter crap?

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Always been ****

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please specify

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
In the old days, my nearest bus route used to be every 30 minutes. on a Sunday. I often waited an hour for a bus because they had cancelled a bus. Now that TFL have made their database available to app developers, I can see where my bus or tube is in real time.

I save money using my bank card to pay for my TFL journeys. In the old days I would pay £50(?) for a weekly zones 1-6 (paper) travel card and only enter zone 1 (the most expensive zone) twice that week. Now my bank card is retrospectively charged the cheapest weekly travelcard. Additionally, I can see each journey that I made, really helpful when it comes to invoicing customers.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Regarding the OP. I'm sick of everything you buy now has an app to control it.
We bought a robotic mower a few years ago. Simple operation, you pin your code in, set it to work between certain hours on certain days, press the OK button, press the Start button, close the flap and walk away. It toddles off and does it's thing, when the battery is getting low it finds its guide wire and goes home for a re-charge. Once charged it comes out and carries on, repeating this procedure if necessary until it is time to stop. It's great. Its worked unfailingly for the past 3 or 4 years.
This year we bought the upgraded model, (couldn't get the old one), which is controlled by an app on my wifes phone, (how come you can only control app based things from one phone???). If it gets stuck somewhere, like in a narrow gap or it's front/back end stuck on a rock in the rockery, you have to manually move it. This sends a message saying it been lifted and you then have to reset the damn thing via the app. If my wife is not at home then it just sits there waiting for instructions until my wife comes home with her phone. No use putting it on mine because I'm at work during the day and, to be honest, I can't figure out how to programme the damn thing.
I wear hearing aids and used to have battery ones. Last year I changed to re-chargeable ones and they are great. The audiologist set them up to link with my phone so if someone calls me I simply tap my right ear and take the call. To end the call I tap my ear again. Very handy if I'm doing something, like driving, because I can safely take a call and not rummage through my pockets if I'm in the middle of a job.
Yesterday I went for a check-up/adjustment and a young audiologist explained I can alter the levels myself for various situations, i.e. a level for watching TV, a different one if I'm in a busy restaurant, a different one if the noise levels are constantly changing, etc, etc. So she downloaded it for me and showed me how to use it. Last night I discovered that I've lost the phone call function so now I have to answer the phone in the usual manner. I can't get it adjusted until next weekend as the audiologist has to do it on their equipment.
Progress has it's cost. :(

I have no problem with app control, but in many cases it should be additional to manual controls though

I've got an old IdealMexico boiler, probably installed late 80s when my house was built. Used to get it serviced by British Gas.

First couple of years they serviced it no probs and I had a service plan with them for the entire CH system.
Then one year the engineer said we can't continue to give you a service plan contract due to boiler age but can continue to service it annually for you.
Then next year the engineer said 'we really shouldn't be servicing this due to it's age and the fact we can't source parts anymore.' He was heavily pushing a new boiler for me, x% off if I signed that day etc. I declined.
Next year, still with British Gas, the engineer was servicing it. I referred to the guy saying the previous year 'can't get parts' and the engineer just rolled his eyes, frowned a bit and said:

'This boiler has about 4 serviceable parts in it mate, all of which can still be sourced. As long as you keep getting it serviced, and as long as parts are available, it'll serve you well. It's a reliable workhorse.'

I admired his honesty. Re modern boilers, I don't doubt they're safer, however I do wonder if all the bells and whistles they have make them more prone to failure? Having said that (touch wood) I have 3 x Ideal boilers installed in BTLs dating back to 2016 and so far so good.

@conny, I can’t remember, that said, people still call it the office, especially since the chief exec has gone (it was his wording not to call it an office). Coined the phrase “work is something you do, not somewhere you go”. Think he called it a work building or something.

Sponsored Links
@conny, I can’t remember, that said, people still call it the office, especially since the chief exec has gone (it was his wording not to call it an office). Coined the phrase “work is something you do, not somewhere you go”. Think he called it a work building or something.

I am currently in the "office"...

• Thanks
Then next year the engineer said 'we really shouldn't be servicing this due to it's age and the fact we can't source parts anymore.' He was heavily pushing a new boiler for me, x% off if I signed that day etc. I declined.
BG became known for pushy sales, and obviously some would do whatever it takes to make the sale. Glad you got an honest one.

I am currently in the "office"...
I will be returning to the 'office' on Tuesday after a lovely week off.
I am currently sitting in my home 'office' which I share with my wife. Technically it is her office because she works from here each day. I merely have a desk on another wall with my 'stuff' on it.

I will be returning to the 'office' on Tuesday after a lovely week off.
I am currently sitting in my home 'office' which I share with my wife. Technically it is her office because she works from here each day. I merely have a desk on another wall with my 'stuff' on it.

My "office" has about 20 tables, a jukebox and barman.

Friends laugh at my 18 year old van, 17 year old Nokia phone, 22 year old Casio watch and 10 year old PC. Even my combi boiler is an ultra dependable 18 year old Vaillant turbomax - better than the new plastic $$h!teboxes they knock out these days. But they keep going and are simple to use and fix. Don't get the sheep who have to be continually updating to the latest technobowlax. As for the muppets attending big fanfares for the 213th edition of a new Apple dumbphone.............................................pass.

Last edited:
Our local land rover dealership is full of nearly new discovery's and range rover sport's, they seem to be incredibly unreliable. But the question was about technology: the internet, online purchasing, emails, smart phones have transformed our way of life. As stated technology is sometime mis-sold, or brought out too soon or upgraded before it has been fully tested because of demands and competition.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Back