Technology

Is technology getting worse/becoming utter crap?

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Always been ****

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please specify

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

CBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve recently found that the more technology “seems to advance”, it becomes more susceptible to failure. I’ve also found, expensive stuff, is just as bad.

Some examples:

Honeywell wireless thermostat, price range circa £100 - had several fail
Some gas valves fail, replaced another one today, boiler is new
Minor irritating issue with Ford stereo, that even Ford don’t know!
Had to have my battery replaced on my van, under 2 years old
Had a few issues trying to unlock ipad, only way round it is to reset

To name but a few

Sponsored Links
On average modern kit is better built and more reliable than older kit. There are occasional exceptions like the Xbox 360, but modern white goods, cars and other machinery generally lasts longer than they used to.

Reactions: CBW
The mis-selling of technology is a significant cause of "failure", The equipment does what it was designed to do but does not do what the salesman claims it will do.

Sponsored Links
I’ve recently found that the more technology “seems to advance”, it becomes more susceptible to failure. I’ve also found, expensive stuff, is just as bad.

Some examples:

Honeywell wireless thermostat, price range circa £100 - had several fail
Some gas valves fail, replaced another one today, boiler is new
Minor irritating issue with Ford stereo, that even Ford don’t know!
Had to have my battery replaced on my van, under 2 years old
Had a few issues trying to unlock ipad, only way round it is to reset

To name but a few
Pot luck? I’ve got a mate like you who always seems to have trouble with electrical gadgets. I think he has a negative electrical aura about him!

I have a washing machine, in my holiday home - hotpoint, I think - 5 year warranty, paid less than £200 for it. Allowing for shipping, retailer and distributor marching it was probably manufactured for <£50. Its been going 3 years with heavy use. How is it possible to make something like that for that cost?

• Thanks
Pot luck? I’ve got a mate like you who always seems to have trouble with electrical gadgets. I think he has a negative electrical aura about him!

I had that with Women... Same same

Audi generally come out quite badly in the JD Power reliabilty surveys. The results are usually mitigated by them being one of the most advanced cars with modern technology. Most of the failings on modern cars tend to be 'tech' rather than the mechanics.

Jaguar Land Rover keep the lawyers busy due to customers rejecting vehicles over dangerous failures.

I can't see why they moan. Spend £100k on a car and it stops in the middle of the motorway. Take it back and it happens again, then again... hardly grounds for a refund ;)

Audi generally come out quite badly in the JD Power reliabilty surveys. The results are usually mitigated by them being one of the most advanced cars with modern technology. Most of the failings on modern cars tend to be 'tech' rather than the mechanics.

I used to fit Viessmann and have one myself. They are the best boilers but their programers were like rocket science to work.

• Thanks
Jaguar Land Rover keep the lawyers busy due to customers rejecting vehicles over dangerous failures.

I can't see why they moan. Spend £100k on a car and it stops in the middle of the motorway. Take it back and it happens again, then again... hardly grounds for a refund ;)

Oh stop it, we bought a 3 year old Discovery Sport recently.
They had timing chain issues on earlier models. The main issue I can find appears to be oil dilution caused by diesel being dumped into the sump after a failed dpf filter cleaning cycle bringing the service light on due to oil condition, if ignored that can lead to a catastrophic failure.

Missus does about 40 miles a day so I'm hoping that little gremlin won't rear it's head. Nice car otherwise.

• Thanks
I found out the easiest wa to 'clean' a dpf was to get the engine hot enough for it to work. This usually involves getting the revs over 2,000rpm for a few minutes. Easily achieved on a quick run down a motorway or country road with a high speed limit.
Local runs to the shops etc where you don't get higher than 4th gear, and consequently engine not hot enough, will quickly clog the dpf.

• Thanks
Regarding the OP. I'm sick of everything you buy now has an app to control it.
We bought a robotic mower a few years ago. Simple operation, you pin your code in, set it to work between certain hours on certain days, press the OK button, press the Start button, close the flap and walk away. It toddles off and does it's thing, when the battery is getting low it finds its guide wire and goes home for a re-charge. Once charged it comes out and carries on, repeating this procedure if necessary until it is time to stop. It's great. Its worked unfailingly for the past 3 or 4 years.
This year we bought the upgraded model, (couldn't get the old one), which is controlled by an app on my wifes phone, (how come you can only control app based things from one phone???). If it gets stuck somewhere, like in a narrow gap or it's front/back end stuck on a rock in the rockery, you have to manually move it. This sends a message saying it been lifted and you then have to reset the damn thing via the app. If my wife is not at home then it just sits there waiting for instructions until my wife comes home with her phone. No use putting it on mine because I'm at work during the day and, to be honest, I can't figure out how to programme the damn thing.
I wear hearing aids and used to have battery ones. Last year I changed to re-chargeable ones and they are great. The audiologist set them up to link with my phone so if someone calls me I simply tap my right ear and take the call. To end the call I tap my ear again. Very handy if I'm doing something, like driving, because I can safely take a call and not rummage through my pockets if I'm in the middle of a job.
Yesterday I went for a check-up/adjustment and a young audiologist explained I can alter the levels myself for various situations, i.e. a level for watching TV, a different one if I'm in a busy restaurant, a different one if the noise levels are constantly changing, etc, etc. So she downloaded it for me and showed me how to use it. Last night I discovered that I've lost the phone call function so now I have to answer the phone in the usual manner. I can't get it adjusted until next weekend as the audiologist has to do it on their equipment.
Progress has it's cost. :(

• Thanks
Regarding the OP. I'm sick of everything you buy now has an app to control it.
Me too. Our office (although it’s not allowed to be called an office anymore, ffs) spent £x on a coffee machine, that’s plugged into an iPad, it’s ok, but a bit ott imo.

If an office is not allowed to be called an office what do you call it?
The cubby hole?

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Back