1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Teddington pressure differential switches

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Mrmoo21, 28 Jun 2010.

1. Mrmoo21

Mrmoo21

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Folks
    I have to rewire the controls for a large central heating system. I have most of the challenge covered but one thing is puzzling me. Fitted to the pipework are two Teddington pressure differential switches. One set at 15Psi with a diff of 10 and the other at 45 Psi with a diff of 30. I presume that these switches allow for safe operation but can anyone confirm this.

Thanks
    Mark

2. Sponsored Links
  3. D_Hailsham

D_Hailsham

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Onetap

Onetap

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It sounds like they are being used as low and high pressure switches.

It is fairly common practice on BMS systems to use a differential pressure switch across a pump or fan to confirm that the device is running.

A typical sequence might be supply fan enabled, dP switch confirms fan runs, extract fan enabled, dP switch confirms fan runs. Failure to run within a certain time would enable a stand-by fan or shut-down the system.

I couldn't say what your ones are doing on a CH system, try operating them and seeing which lamps come on at the panel.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Mrmoo21

Mrmoo21

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the feedback information guys.
    I should also have said that the switches are installed as part of a sealed heating system and they are sensing the pressure of water in the system. They are mouted on the primary heating loop. There is no control panel yet, I’m building that right now, currently it’s just a mess of connectors and every type of cabling system conceived.
    I did trace the cabling which is connected to the switches and it basically interrupts the supply to the whole system. When I get some down time on the system I’ll drop the pressure and possible increase it to see the effect it has on the switches.

Cheers
    Mark

6. Boilerman2

Boilerman2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The Teddington Pressureswitches are Low & High Safety switches, Low pressure should be set at about 0-6Bar Min Diff High pressure should be ste 0-5Bar below the Safety Valve lift pressure, with Min Diff
    Low pressure should be wired between Common and N.O. High pressure should be wired between Com and N.C, with the switches looped in series, they should stop the Burner and quite often the Circulatrion pumps in the event of High or Low pressure occuring ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Biggles..

Biggles..

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Theyre still high and low pressure switches,more than likely used for system volume/pressure and pump proving.

decrease in pressure will stop the boiler firing and pump running to avoid dry firing.Over pressure will also stop boiler firing incase the safety valves havent discharged.

probably linked to pump and boiler failure indication on the BMS panel

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links