Teenage Gas Engineers

• Thread starter Bamber gaspipe
  • Start date
there was a bloke I heard last week who was suspended as a house he installed a meter in,the combi boiler started spilling carbon monoxide......as he was the last guy in,he got shafted. :confused:

Surely if he is only qualified with MET1 he cannot inspect any appliances.

How old is this thread?, I'd completely forgotten I had an ignore list!

Eh? He's a fully qualified gas engineer as we all are ie CCN1,MET1,CEN1 etc

I think they suspend you automatically, guilty until proved innocent.....when we visit houses to change meters, we have to check for ventilation,signs of spillage, flue safe blah blah.....it goes on, you could be the best & safest engineer ever but 1 thing can easily pass you by in a house then its your head.

Sponsored Links
Well Bamber?

Its about two years since your relative presumably left. How has he managed?

Some people can manage boring jobs. Surely a checkout operator at ASDA must be pretty boring but there are women doing it for years on end.

I find installing boilers boring and much prefer the challenge of fixing them.

Tony

Can`t see how someone can be done as the definition of what work on . Is defined in the book and relighting an appliance is not work.
Unless something was clearly visible then they are bang to rights
Great money if you can turn off to the repetitive work but with all those different customers each day you are bound to have a laugh and a joke with a lot of them.

Sponsored Links
As a meter fitter you only carry out a visual inspection. ie ventilation for DFE fires, spillage, no cooker chain. All these require a warning notice, even the cooker chain. Unfortunately we cannot just give them a verbal notice. I find, on average 3 gas leaks per week, around 4 or 5 DFE fires with no ventilation and about 15 gas cookers with no chains per week. If you do your job right there is no way you could ever be suspended. Two guys were suspended last week, one for leaving a gas leak due to not changing a washer on the outlet side and one guy for not spotting lack of ventilation on a DFE. Simple things really if you want to keep your job.

The average fitter in my area is doing around 40 fits per week. There are some big hitters who are doing 100+ per week. The record in one day is 29.

Going to so many different houses and meeting different people isn't all that. If you want to get your numbers up and make the money you tend to be anti social- unless you notice an old boiler that might need replacing in the near future or other work that needs doing. It's easy to get smaller jobs like commissioning appliances after a new install. An extra £20 while I'm there pays for the petrol for the week!!!

All in all, not a job I would do for longer than 18months.

Sorry for the 2 year late reply!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back