Telephone cable mystery colours

Discussion in 'Alarms, CCTV & Telephones' started by Sherlock121, 15 Nov 2021.

1. Sherlock121

Sherlock121

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Could really do with some help please the telephone cable that comes into my house was put into the front door frame back in the day when i have had new door fitted they have disconnected the cable. I didnt think much about it as it wasnt urgent as the its a full renovation job however when i have come to reconnect it its not the same as modern cables. I was expecting to see 6 cables instead on have 7, solid green, solid black, solid orange, and 4 white cables with not colour banding so have no idea how to reconnect does anyone have a clue please?

2. sparkymarka

sparkymarka

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Black and green are a pair and orange and white ….there can be 3 extra yellow wires which are the support wires ….I would try black and green …

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Sherlock121

Sherlock121

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    wow thanks for the speedy response .. i found the old connector box it had orange and a white connected only so bellwire and earth??? (so presume thats the same so) telephones arent an area i have really learnt about which colours do i link green and black to ? (blue white to green and white/blue to black or am i totally wrong)

5. RandomGrinch

RandomGrinch

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

Theoretically, where the cable comes into the house and up to the master socket is the property of BT / Openreach etc.
    And should not be touched! ;)

Anyway, quick guide to telephone wiring here:
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Telecoms/Telephone Wiring.htm
    If this is the master socket, you only need the orange and white connected :)

6. Sponsored Links