Telephone Enquiry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
I have to ring BT tommorow to see if this is possible, but i thought i would float it here to see if anybody is in the know.

I have 2 landline numbers, not at the same address though.
I want to transfer the other landline to were i live now, thus giving me 2 different numbers at this house.

2 questions really.
1) Can this be done and still keeping the same number?
2) These 2 landline numbers divert all calls to my mobile, is there any service that can cater for me at the exchange, ie: no need for any lines in the house??

thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, you just ask BT to set up a new line at Address A, transfer the number of the line at Address B to it, then scrap the line at Address B.

Yes, it can be done but it is horrendously expensive. you're probably better off having a line at your house that you can divert yourself.

I know this because I did exactly the same when I was self-employed.

However, I set these up last century, so things may have changed in the last few years. Best talk to BT.

as securespark said it is best to get the line shifted to your new address but will this still be in the same telephone exchange?? it is called a home mover or if a business line then its a business mover.....as for call diverts you are cheaper doing this yourself using the *21* option

securespark
thanks for that, i will let you know tommorow were BT stands for your info

Sponsored Links
JOHNBOY42
thanks mate, the 1st line is on divert to the other landline, and this landline is on divert to my mobile. gotta be better options.

Different local exchange, same main exchange (dialing code)

lol, it was breezer, (took off at xmas) gonna do it again when im next at dads.

do you have 2 seperate lines ? I use BT Call Sign 1 line 2 numbers divert as i feel, i have BT Twintalks to control the 2 numbers with different phones one number for home use with 3 phones on it and one number for the business with 1 phone/ans machine on it, works great be supprised how many customers i see who have the same as i but pay for 2 lines ! its a hell of a lot cheeper with call sign !

systemtek,
sounds good.
Yes i got 2 phone lines, different addresses, that sounds like what i am after

BT callsign doesnt work well with caller display on certain machines, and some answerphones.

It is good for what it is, but can't replace the benefits of having two lines - it really depends what you want out of the two lines.

- You cant have two calls at once with BT call sign.
- You have a single bill with BT call sign (no good for house/business).
- You can only divert BOTH numbers at once with BT call sign.
- There are batteries to run down in the twin-talk filters.
- You need a twintalk filter per phone socket unless you wire all sockets back to a central place.
- If you have been persuaded by BT into taking BT feature line compact on your line (it does reduce your rental slightly, and gives FREE call divert and other features, but ties you in for 3 or 5 years) then you CANT use BT call sign.

A line move to a property with no line provision (or where you need an additional, as in this case), the typical cost is £99 for domestics. Not sure on business.

BT feature line has FREE installation - you could drop your current line, and have a feature line installed.

They wont move a number from one exchange to another (although this is soon to change apparently, with certain number groups).

Lectrician said:
BT callsign doesnt work well with caller display on certain machines, and some answerphones.

Ive heard this also, but ive never had a problem and set loads up.

Lectrician said:
They wont move a number from one exchange to another (although this is soon to change apparently, with certain number groups).

Yes they will move a number between exchanges, they port it in exactly the same way they do when you port a number from say BT to NTL. Its not easy for them and they dont like to do it. I think i only know 1 home customer who got this done, but its common with business customers, ive done it loads. Your correct it will change soon, so that ALL customers can port numbers easy between exchanges, from the BT people i speak to this is not going to be soon.

Again the other points you make are correct. It depends what you want to do, it suits me fine and others also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back