Telephone extension socket problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On a newly installed master socket, I have installed an extension socket to a newly built part of the building. The master socket works fine, (phone and broadband) through a double adapter marked with modem and phone sockets.
However as soon as I connect the extension cable to 2 and 5, the whole line goes dead.
The same happens if I connect a proper ADSL filter to the master socket.
Any suggestions as to how to locate and rectify the fault would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
On a newly installed master socket, I have installed an extension socket to a newly built part of the building. The master socket works fine, (phone and broadband) through a double adapter marked with modem and phone sockets.
However as soon as I connect the extension cable to 2 and 5, the whole line goes dead.
The same happens if I connect a proper ADSL filter to the master socket.
Any suggestions as to how to locate and rectify the fault would be much appreciated.

Is it a proper Openreach nte ,sounds like you have two faults,a loop on the extension ie 2 and 5 are in contact and a faulty adsl filter or frontplate.Please post some pictures as im a little confused by your explanation of the master socket .

thanks for your reply.
The master socket is newly fitted openreach nte socket.
The extension cable runs through the fabric of the building, but I cannot find any continuity between blue/white-white/blue.
I have since connected a short test socket to the master and that seemed to work ok but am puzzled by the fact that the adsl filter also shuts down the phone line.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your reply.
The master socket is newly fitted openreach nte socket.
The extension cable runs through the fabric of the building, but I cannot find any continuity between blue/white-white/blue.
I have since connected a short test socket to the master and that seemed to work ok but am puzzled by the fact that the adsl filter also shuts down the phone line.

The only fault after the nte that would lead to loss of dial tone is a loop,concealed wiring is very neat but tends to get trapped and cause loop or earth problems.Adsl filters quite often go faulty and will also put a loop on your line,hard to say without testing for myself but i would imagine you have two faults.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back