Telephone master - am I totally stupid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

well following from previous advice I went to QVS and bought all the bits and wired the flat up for a couple of phone extensions. then i came to connect up the master (was only bare wires coming into the property) . . .expecting to find a couple of screws inside the master socket I instead found this:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/theflyingpig/phone.jpg

OK - so its definitly a master?

Are those little screws the ones I should be connecting to BT wires too? they don't appear to be labelled - and there are three of them!

Has me very confused, though still not keen to have to fork out 120 quid . . .

help!

thanks

Huey

Sponsored Links
you should have a plug already fitted at one end to plug into the bt master socket via a double adapter or piggyback adaptor so you can carry on using your phone at the main socket

you should not interfere with any bt sockets

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5520248.htm

and the bare wires at the other end secure into the 2 and 5 [central positions] on your extention socket

. . its the master socket I'm trying to fit . .

that photo IS a master socket isn't it?

ta

your changing the b t socket thats first in line for your own!!!!!
and its not an extention your installing !!!!!!

Sponsored Links
god I am stupid! I jsut don't understand.

please be patient, but I'll try and explain from the top.

I had just a bare cable coming into teh flat, with 4 wires - black, white, orange and I can't remember . . .

So I went and asked for a master socket.

how do the active (oragen and white?) wires connect to this master?

thanks!

theflyingpig said:
god I am stupid! I jsut don't understand.

please be patient, but I'll try and explain from the top.

I had just a bare cable coming into teh flat, with 4 wires - black, white, orange and I can't remember . . .

So I went and asked for a master socket.

how do the active (oragen and white?) wires connect to this master?

thanks!

dont worry most people are patient :D ;)

so why have you bare wires!!!!!

is it an extention or the origional master!!!
are you trying to find out if the wires are in use!!!!

Yes that is a master socket you can tell by the capacitor, it is not clear from your pic but there should be another cover in the box that the socket screws to, under that cover you should find the terminal block where you connect the 2 wires you have.

the flat was partially gutted when I bought it - and I've gutted it even more! its a black cable coming infrom outside, with jsut the four wires in it. I understnad BT are supposed to connect this to a master - but given its only two wires that need connecting I can't see how thats worth 120 quid - do I have the wrong socket box? i see on other sites photos of master sockets in two peices with screw fittings for the BT wires - . . .

looks good to me, the master tends to have a big diody thing (tech talk 101) but the master only needs white n blue and orange n white.

yep - thats what I was armed with when I started - those pages. they don't however indicate where to connect the main BT wires.

the only thing I can think is that the main wires (coming in from outside) go into the kroe / push down connectors, and the wire out to first socket has to have a plug on the end to PLUG INTO the master socket. . . .

no
?

put the O/W in 2 & W/B in 5 on the left hand side terminals (top and bottom as you look at it from the back

a_bt_master_socket_and_ext_wiring.gif

If you take the socket topieces you will find two screws these connect to the outside line You only use two wires you have more in case you have more than one line. A pair is wires almost of the same colour. If you have a meter look for a pair of wires with 50V DC on. Thats your phone line connect these to the two screws. You should have a working phone line when you plug in the front.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back