Telephone noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know it's not electrics, but not sure where else to paste. We've just had our drive way dug up (all concrete has gone) and new clay bricks laid. All looking nice and the work man have done a fantastic job! Hurah you may say. Well, over the past few days, our telephone has become unusable due to high buzz'ing noise (almost sounds like feedback, but it isn't). The telephone is delivered to the house via Cable (NTL). I'm assuming something has happened to the wire under the drive, and I now no it's all covered up. I've checked the main box at the front of the house (it was open anyway due to wind and the cable tie was incorrectly placed and it had ripped open in the wind). Having moved the wires a bit and cleaned the signal was clear for a day and then returned. I'm wondering what to do next. Do I ask NTL out, for which I can't see them doing much other than pointing at the new drive (never had a problem before). Are there any devices I can wire into the incoming wire (into garage first, so I could intercept) that reduces noise??? Simple and easy if I can.. Thoughts on a postcard would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
could it not be water in the blown off cover shurley if you cleared the problem by working on the box and it happend again why not do the same again and see what happens
maybee it just needs drying out may not cure it but worth a try

Thanks for reply. I've actually snipped the ends and dried. Used terminals to connect up again and then tried phone. Not as bad as it was and it is now consistent rather than random. However, it is there enough to annoy. Must be something to do with the laying of it under the drive I think. Will play again tomorrow.

Unless they damaged the cable when laying the drive, i doubt that is the problem.

Can you connect your phone direct to the cable from the road, see if the noise has gone.

I suspect water in the joint outside.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I called BT every week for a year to try and get them to accept a fault due to moisture. The phone crackled like f**K on wet days.

They kept testing the line "Oh, it's OK from our end........."

In the end I used jelly-filled scotchloks and the problem disappeared immediately. ALL connections outside need proper proofing from the elements.

NTL are complete a*ses in the call centre but the technicians who have visited us over the years have been good blokes and not some sort of jobsworth. So you could be economical with the truth to the call centre and negotiate with the techie when he comes out.

The cable (should) be laid through conduit under the drive - hopefully! So should just be a straight pull if it needs replacing?

Ha, ha!!

If you're lucky, it is in green flexi conduit buried 1" below....

If you're unlucky, and happen to be a customer of mine who WORKS for NTL........

Guy has drive replaced. NTL has laid cable 3" under with no protection. Unsurprisingly, the drive guys sever the cable.

The customer rings his company asks for them to reinstate supply. Sure, they say.

They come round, get it going, and give the customer a HUGE bill.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back