telephone socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Wondering if somone could help.

I have a telephone socket down stairs and it works perfectly but there is another socket upstairs but you can only dial out but if someone rings it won't ring, obiously we have tried different phones.

Someone told me that the 6 wires in the upstairs box needs to be switched I think it was 3 and 4 or something like that.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
how is it wired at the moment?

with british phone wiring a pair of wires comes into the house and to the master socket pins 2 and 4. in the master socket there is a ringing capacitor and some protective cuircuitry. Runs to extentions then need at least 3 wires (though its normal to connect all the middle 4 at least to avoid stray wires hanging arround), the two incoming lines and the ringing signal (pin 3 iirc)

alternatively a second master socket can be used (hence requiring only two wires to connect) but this can occasionally cause issues like bts line testing equipment miscalculating the length of the line and refusing to give broadband.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back