Telephone wiring help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first time poster with a problem that I hope you guys can help with.

Basically, since I've lived at my current house (3 years), unless I plug a phone into the master socket downstairs by the front door, I don't get a ring tone and can't use it. An extension cable is plugged into the master which goes under the stairs and splits via a junction box to a socket downstairs and one upstairs where the PC is. Here the plot thickens because I get broadband fine using the wall socket, but no joy with the phone.

I spent some time this weekend attacking the wiring and considering everything I'd read and everyone I'd spoken to had said that all I really need is wires on terminals 2 and 5, there were wires connected up all over the place in the junction box. I've now basically ended up where I started, with just the broadband working, but at least it's just with 2 wires on 2 and 5.

As an aside, using a long extension plugged into the master and run up to the PC, the broadband is much faster than when plugged into the socket upstairs. Not sure what that means but the broadband through the socket now is so slow that I've resorted to using the extension lead.

Basically, I'm not sure where to go from here. The extension cable from the master that runs to the junction box has red, green, black and yellow wires and with red on 2 and yellow on 5 I get broadband, but I also get broadband with black and yellow connected on 2 and 5. On the cable running out of this I've got blue/white on 2 and white/blue on 5 and I've connected the same up at the corresponding socket.

It's very frustrating because I feel like I'm so close to sorting this out and yet so far and not sure if I'm doing it right and what to do next! All help much appreciated, many thanks :)

Seb

Sponsored Links
which BT socket have you got installed?

One of these:

NTE5_fl.jpg

It sounds like at least some of the cable could be stranded alarm cable.
It is not meant to be terminated in idc connections so this could be a problem with you broadband.It also sound like previous owners have 'bodged' any diy work.
It is probably better to rip out and start again!
You sound like you are capable of doing it and bits are not expensive.
Try ebay or google telephone extension kits

http://www.telephone-wiring.co.uk/telephone-extension-kitwhite-internal-x15m-364-p.asp

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot for the advice and for the vote of confidence!
the cable that goes upstairs has the newer bi-coloured wires and was put in when I moved here so that should be fine. My suspicions suggest that the culprit here is the cable that leads directly from the master to the junction box. Would it be feasible to buy a new extension cable, chop off one of the connectors and then connect up the individual wires in the junction box?

Are you sure it is not stranded cable?
The only cable with wires that colour that i have seen are alarm cables and some 'telephone lead cables'.The new colours that BT are using are blue,orange,green and brown.

Just re-read your post........
If the cable from your master to the 'junction box' is one of those cheapo,flat cables with fitted plugs then bin it and replace with proper cw1308 cable!
Can you upload a pic of the cable and junction box?

Are you sure it is not stranded cable?
The only cable with wires that colour that i have seen are alarm cables and some 'telephone lead cables'.The new colours that BT are using are blue,orange,green and brown.

Just re-read your post........
If the cable from your master to the 'junction box' is one of those cheapo,flat cables with fitted plugs then bin it and replace with proper cw1308 cable!
Can you upload a pic of the cable and junction box?

It is indeed a flattie, with a plug at one end and just wires at the other, I assume there once having been a plug there. cw1308 you say? I shall investigate! And I'll get a couple of pics up tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back