Telescopic ladders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of getting some telescopics (3.8m) for doing the bell box's instead of the big old thing I use now.

Anyone recommend a set, I have read that the closer they are to full extension they can be a bit wobbly. Want to know if some are more stable than others, I guess that could be reflected in the price.

I would need them to be Trade EN131 minimum.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I bought the cheap (£80?) set from Maplin and they seem okay. But they're nothing like the triple extension that I usually carry. For a short ladder, it seems fairly firm but I haven't tried an expensive one... And, yes, it was EN131! :eek:

im sure there safe but ever time i see them i cringe :unsure: good for space saving though :D

I also have the set Maplin were selling a while ago. It's easy to miss locking one of the extensions, and then you find it has a "kink"* where one side had gone down - so you need to be careful.

Also, I find them quite wobbly and if I were using them commercially and regularly then I think I'd rather have a decent extending ladder. But as said, it's hard to complain about their portability.

* Not bent (as in damaged), but the extended ladder isn't straight nd I have to wonder about the strain put on everything by my corpulence supported on one side :eek:[/code]

Sponsored Links
I purchased the Maplin set too. IIRC they are about £130, but were down to around £80 with free delivery at the time, plus I found a £5 off voucher online :)

You're right, they do bow when fully extended and there's a certain amount of bounce when climbing them. They're useful for things like getting up to the wall opposite the stairs, as my two part ladder can't access or when I get up on the roof and need three short ladders. They wouldn't be my first choice. More a useful piece of kit for when accessibility is an issue.

food for though,

useful information but a little worrying, these en131 and not class 1 ladders (cant find telescopic class 1's).

anyone found a decent pair when fully extended?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back