Television cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There doesn't seem to be a forum on TV wiring so i'll try this one.

I have a V+ box in my living room and an additional box in my son's room upstairs. The cable goes from the entry point near the living room TV, upstairs to his room.

He's moving to another room upstairs and I want to transfer his connection to the new room.

I don't know if the lead and connector can be pulled back through the holes in the joists, so what's it like to dismantle then remake off?

The alternative is to extend the exisiting lead using the correct in-line connector, run a lead up into the attic and down into his new room.

Are the cable and connectors readily available? Is there anything special about them? Will there be any detriment to the signal with the extra 7 or 8 meters of cable? Do I need a special tool to terminate?

Sponsored Links
I don't know if the lead and connector can be pulled back through the holes in the joists, so what's it like to dismantle then remake off?
Far too much trouble tbh.

The alternative is to extend the exisiting lead using the correct in-line connector, run a lead up into the attic and down into his new room.
Get a decent splitter and do it that way. Then you can have the signal in both old bedroom and new bedroom. Connectors aren't so good.

Are the cable and connectors readily available? Is there anything special about them? Will there be any detriment to the signal with the extra 7 or 8 meters of cable? Do I need a special tool to terminate?
I use CT100 to distribute my signal around the house. Bear in mind that each joint will cost you 2-3dB, but the cable box should handle the loss ok.
Personnally, i'd put a splitter in the 'old' bedroom, run some CT100 up like you say into the loft and down into the new room. You 'may' get away with the rubbishy coax crimp connectors that just squeeze on the end of the cable with pliers, but i use f-connectors and a snap-n-seal tool to do the job right. The tool costs about £15, then you'll need a cable cutter and some f-connector, with coax adaptor to plug into the tv.

Hope it helps. :)

Sponsored Links
i suppose they would do this the OP's requirements.
£1.99 each though :eek: eek!
Mine just fell off the one and only time i tried them, they failed the tug test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back