Tell installer not to remove protective film on bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a little tip for those of you having bathroom installations done. (I've just had one done and feel I could write a whole article about how to ensure it runs more smoothly next time.) When baths - and shower trays - are delivered, they usually come with a protective plastic film. In my own case, there was a printed warning on the film that it should not be removed until after installation and tiling.

Well, after the bath had been installed, before the tiling had even been started, I discovered that the guy doing the installation had removed the protective film. When tiling started, he put a dust sheet in the bath, but that was soon covered with grit and dust on both sides. I'll be wiser next time.

Sponsored Links
The solution isn't as easy as you seem to think.

The dust sheet is there to stop any dropped tiles damaging the bath surface, not to keep the dust off.

You can't leave the plastic coating on the edge of the bath while tiling 'cos you won't get it all off afterwards, and if you leave it on then it will compromise the sealant that you apply after tiling/grouting.

And as soon as you peel it back away from the edge, dust/adhesive/grout is then able to get behind it. As long as that's all it is then the bath won't be scratched.

Grit, however, shouldn't be present after the bath is installed.

Yes, next time you have a bath fitted you can be left with a nice plastic film line around the bottom of the tiles.

Then you know it has been done properly. I just love it when a member of the public knows how a job could be run more smoothly.
From an armchair, presumably.

All in all, what a fantastic tip for the forum. :evil:

Although film is clear it can still hide scratches and damage, some sinks etc even have protective foam pads etc.
Would like to see manufacturers say yes thanks for leaving protection on till fully installed and tiled ,we are sorry there was some damage under it but we will pay for it all to be taken out changed and re-installed.

Sponsored Links
Although it's not always possible to do this, the kitchen and bathroom fitter that I sometimes do work for tiles and grouts before fitting the bath, allowing the tiles to drop down behind the bath, giving a nice watertight surface to silicone to.

That's because he's a kitchen and bathroom fitter, not a tiler or a plumber.

You can't get a better seal than when filling a 2mm horizontal gap between tiles and bath.

My usual supplier makes you take the film off outside & inspect and sign that the surface is OK before you even get it inside, had too many people claiming bath was marked several days later one they removed the film.

I have seen a laytex type liquid that you paint onto the surface then peel off when the work is complete, just leave a clear area around the edge for tiling/sealing.

I did know a girl who had a "mate" from the local pub fitting a new bathrom, he thought the surface of the bath looked of a bit rough so waited for her to return from work, she also thought it a bit rough so they managed to get it back to Wickes and asked for the manager who took great pleasure in peeling the plastic off in front of them :D

Jason

The solution isn't as easy as you seem to think.

And as soon as you peel it back away from the edge, dust/adhesive/grout is then able to get behind it. As long as that's all it is then the bath won't be scratched.

Thanks, Softus. That's a good point. Yes, I had thought that peeling back the edge for the tiling would be preferable to removing the whole thing. I guess there's no perfect solution, though.

Although film is clear it can still hide scratches and damage, some sinks etc even have protective foam pads etc.
Would like to see manufacturers say yes thanks for leaving protection on till fully installed and tiled ,we are sorry there was some damage under it but we will pay for it all to be taken out changed and re-installed.

Yes, that might be an interesting test case. :D

Although it's not always possible to do this, the kitchen and bathroom fitter that I sometimes do work for tiles and grouts before fitting the bath, allowing the tiles to drop down behind the bath, giving a nice watertight surface to silicone to.

Not too sure about this, Corgi. It would certainly look good, but if the silicone failed at some point, then water would go behind the bath. When tiles come over the edge of the bath, there's less chance of that happening. It would probably be OK if you were using it just for baths where you wouldn't be getting loads of water running down the tiles, but if there was an overbath shower, I'd say it was a no-no.

I did know a girl who had a "mate" from the local pub fitting a new bathrom, he thought the surface of the bath looked of a bit rough so waited for her to return from work, she also thought it a bit rough so they managed to get it back to Wickes and asked for the manager who took great pleasure in peeling the plastic off in front of them :D

Jason

Reminds me of my mother who bought a new bedside lamp and couldn't get the plug in. It was fine once I'd taken the plastic cover off the prongs.

Yes, next time you have a bath fitted you can be left with a nice plastic film line around the bottom of the tiles.

Then you know it has been done properly. I just love it when a member of the public knows how a job could be run more smoothly.
From an armchair, presumably.

The tiles that go around the edge of the bath are the last to be fitted so the bulk of the tiling can indeed be carried out with the film in situ.

The tiles that go around the edge of the bath are the last to be fitted so the bulk of the tiling can indeed be carried out with the film in situ.
That's one way of doing it, but it doesn't achieve the best results every time, which is what a professional has to do.

That's one way of doing it, but it doesn't achieve the best results every time, which is what a professional has to do.

That's interesting, Softus. What my installer did was to fix battens a few inches above the bath all around and start tiling above the battens. As the tiles are large, that left only six tiles - cut to height - around the edge. So, in this particular case, he could have left the film in place and then peeled it back to finish the job. I certainly have no complaint with the look of the tiling, but from what you say, it sounds as though different tiles might require a different method?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back