Tell me about ~ SDS drills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a flat with solid internal partitions. My hammer drill really isnt cutting the mustard and I have a large larder shelf to remove. So im in the market for an SDS Drill but have never used one before let alone purchased one. I dont want to buy one thats rubbish!

Can you recommend a good 240v sds drill around £100?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thats very true but I do enjoy having the right tools for the job. My hammer drill isnt exactly a gem (a JCB) so one that could replace that aswell would be good. My folks have offered to buy one as a bday present so it isnt actually costing my anything.

That one looks ok but it doesnt seem to have three functions like most others? I will be relocating switches so will be chasing wires, the chisel function will be handy

In that case buy a bosch blue light sds similar to the one i linked too as in reality an sds drill over 2kg has a very limited range of work as its too heavy for using over head or up a ladder and is only really useful for drilling big holes consistantly or chasing

hmmmm darn this simultaneous posting

in that case if you up your budget 20 quid or so you could get a good one with roto-stop too. Personally i like to use a cheap 40quid job solely for chasing hammer it into the ground and buy another one and save the good one for drilling as using it for chasing etc as well will shorten its life considerably.

Stretch your budget by £22 and get this http://www.bluepowertools.co.uk/products.asp?partno=Bosch-GBH226Dre

Or better still, for a true all-rounder that should be all you ever need, stretch it a little more and get this http://www.longhornonline.co.uk/ProductGrp/bosch-gbh-2-26-dfr-rotary-hammer-drill

Almost the same thing, and both have roto-stop for chiselling, but the second one has a properly-fitting standard chuck as well as the SDS chuck, much better than using an SDS chuck adapter IMHO. It'll probably work out cheaper than buying two drills in the end as well.

i have the gbh2-26dre muggles mentioned and it's a great drill but frankly any bosch blue sds drill will take pretty solid abuse and much more than any most diyers will throw at it. as i mentioned using the roto-stop will wear it out quicker but it should still last a long time with even pretty heavy diy use.

I agree that the dfr with normal chuck is a really good product but for me a non-sds drill is much less useful if its not short enough to fit between joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back