Temp Capping Off Water Pipe With Pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondered if this >>>
400_F_12409111_iciJ1pujgg7zHMxEcwICdICr8SPo7uwf.jpg
would work as a temp cap on the copper pipe shown in the picture below?. It doesn't have to be soldered on right? Plumber has quoted me over £100 to take out the sink and temp cap off the supply pipes! So, I'm thinking of doing this myself. However, I don't want to solder on the stop end as it's not a permanent fitting, just buy a push fit type. What do you think? Would this be possible? It doesn't even matter if it leaks a little, i can just put a bucket underneath until the new sink is to be fitted.

This picture is the sink due for removal, showing the copper pipe in which cap is to be fitted:

Diagram.JPG

Sponsored Links
Yes, no problem.
You'll need to wrap some ptfe on the tap connector or use a new fibre washer, by the look of it it's been leaking already!

or depending on if you plan on fitting flexi's if your fitting a mixer tap etc cut the pipe lower down and fit a pair of isolation valve.
personally i'd fit new tap connectors anyway looking at the condition of them.

Thanks very much guys for the quick replies.

Yes, no problem.
You'll need to wrap some ptfe on the tap connector or use a new fibre washer,

Yes, you're right, it'll definitely need a new washer putting in there, but I'll use ptfe tape first. It doesn't matter too much if it leaks though as the plumber will do the rest when the new sink is installed. However, if he's going to charge me an arm and a leg, I might attempt that myself too.

by the look of it it's been leaking already!

Actually, it's been leaking for many years (possibly 10-15 years!), but we have just never noticed it, until now :eek:, but luckily, it's going to be sorted.

or depending on if you plan on fitting flexi's if your fitting a mixer tap etc cut the pipe lower down and fit a pair of isolation valve.
personally i'd fit new tap connectors anyway looking at the condition of them.

Thanks for the tip there. Yea, I have been thinking about this. Seems a good opportunity to fit some isolation valves. Sorry, what are flexis? I do actually have the mixer tap for being fitted :)

By the way, please let me know only if you think that the pipe can only be capped here instead >>>

M2U00361004.JPG

Sponsored Links
Sorry to be a pain, but the isolation valves have to be soldered don't they? I don't mind, suppose it's only a blow torch I'll need if so and that sticky bonding stuff, but the main worry is it's right next to the gas supply meter :(. Will it be safe do you think?

no compression fitting ball-o-fix valve
fit one end to pipe then screw flexi straight onto other end.
leaving off the compression nut/olive.
800px-Compression_fitting_isolating.jpg

my mixer tap came with a set of hard tails to screw into it.. bloody things.. soft as hell copper too..

if your on gravity hot/cold supplies make sure you fit the full bore ones.

I don't know what a gravity supply would be and how would I check? And what is a full bore isolation valve? Please advise when you can. I'll be in here again tomorrow evening. Thanks :)

is your hot water supplied by a hot water cylinder with tanks in the loft or a combi boiler etc

is your hot water supplied by a hot water cylinder with tanks in the loft or a combi boiler etc

hot water supplied by a hot water cylinder with tanks in the loft. Yea, definitely gravity fed central heating system. So, are there two different kinds of valve, full bore and something else?

a standard 15mm isolation ball o fix is only about 10mm bore inside
that will restrict gravity flow quite abit.

fit full bore 15mm isolation valves and the bore stays the same all the way through so no restriction.

look down the end of one in bq.
screwfix do full bore ones.

also check your new mixer is for low pressure not high. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back