Temperature alarm thermostat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is perhaps an unusual request and I'm not really sure if I'm asking the question in the right place, but here goes.

I have a small old (30 years old!) yacht which I potter about on. It has a small (13HP) diesel engine. This engine has indirect cooling via seawater, which is injected into the exhaust once it's been through the heat exchanger.

If I happen to suck up a plastic bag into the seawater inlet, the engine does not immediately overheat, but the exhaust temperature rises fairly rapidly. The pump impellor can also be damaged by running dry.

Although there is an overheat thermostat in the engine cooling water, by the time this goes off it can be too late to prevent damage to the impellor/exhaust hose.

I'm looking to fit a simple switch clamped to the exhaust pipe just after the seawater has been injected so that I get an earlier warning.

I thought it would be a simple matter of googling for "pipe thermostat" to get what I'm after, but all the ones it comes up with are fancy adjustable things which wouldn't fit the space available.

All I want is a simple switch which will operate at round about 40deg C. Nothing fancy, just a N.O. switch with 2 wires that I can clamp on with a jubilee clamp!

Any ideas?

TIA
Jim

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back