Temperature control in my fridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Something wrong in my fridge: It continued to cool for long time and just not stop. I can turn the temperature control to stop this but it then never cool again until I turned the temperature control again.
Do you know what is wrong? Can I just buy a temperature control part to replace the old part to fix the problem?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sponsored Links
check the door seals are clean and making a good seal.

Thank you mattylad,

I have just checked the door seals and they look in good condition.

Look for the thermostat probe, it is likely at the back, lower down, behind the shelves etc.
Check it is in good clean condition and not obstructed.

Is the fridge too full?
What make and model is the fridge and how old is it? (google this for common faults)

Sponsored Links
"Look for the thermostat probe"
I do not know what is the "thermostat probe", I am going to show you the photos of the front and bake.

Attachments

• Front.jpg.jpg
    Front.jpg.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Back.jpg.jpg
    Back.jpg.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 67
Hi,
Is this the thermostat probe you mentioned?
Can I replace this by myself?
Where I can buy one to have a try?

It must be internal to that plastic molding surrounding it.

So going back to your initial description of the issue:

It continued to cool for long time and just not stop. I can turn the temperature control to stop this but it then never cool again until I turned the temperature control again.

So where do you turn it to make it stop cooling? if your turning it fully down, have you tried half way?
Are there numbers around that knob or is it not fully seated in the hole? it may not be on the thermostat knob properly.

Replacement thermostats are available but you would need to disconnect it from the power and be competent enough to replace it.

so Ill ask again - What make and model is the fridge and how old is it?
This will help you to find a replacement thermostat which will enable you to see if it has a probe so you would know how far to look for it.
If it has then its probably behind the plastic molding somewhere.

It is "currys essentials"
I have just found the instruction manual! It said:
"The internal temperature of your fridge freezer is controlled by a thermostat.
There are seven settings, of which position 7 is the coldest, position 1 is the warmest and position 0 turns the fridge freezer off."
I guess, it not controls the temperature, instead, it controls the cooling time!
Now, it keeps running forever even I turn it to position 1. And I got a lot of ice!

Last edited:
Then that sounds like the thermostat is foobar'd.
Are you able to disconnect the power, unscrew that plastic housing covering it (the knob should pull off) and identify it by the writing on it?
Then you can see about a replacement.

But are you competent enough to replace it?

"But are you competent enough to replace it? "
Firstly, I know how to disconnect the power...... Secondly, in the case that I damage this fridge, I just buy a new one... What is your suggestion for a small fridge?

Sponsored Links
Back