Temperature range for storing power tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into our current house last October and I stored my power tools in the old outhouse and the garage... great idea as both were nice and dry. However in the winter both the garage and the outhouse dropped to -10C and I decided to rehouse the tools into the small workshop space at the end of the garden as it has a perspex roof and stays warmish even on a winters day...
I know it heats up so I have been leaving the door open from first thing in the morning... today I forgot and at lunch time the thermometer was off the scale... only goes up to 52C not sure what the actual temperature was but it was canny hot in there!
Certainly not what I was used to in Newcastle!!!
Okay enough of the waffle: I'm not used to living somewhere with such extremes in temperature between winter and summer so can anyone tell me if storing power tools at sub zero temperatures or 50C+ is liable to do them long term damage?
I don't want to heat the garage and while airco in the little workshop might be nice I'm not sure if it would get approval from my beloved ;)
Cheers
Micky

Sponsored Links
The low temperatures won't be kind, but I doubt they'll damage much. Not good for batteries, though. The high temperatures could cause plastics to sag and will be very unhealthy for battery storage.

I'd keep your batteries somewhere a little less hostile, but other than that, I can't see there being much of an issue really.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback guys: I'll rehouse the batteries to the cellar as it's a nice even temperature there... though not fully dry... and strangely not damp or humid. Great for storing beer!!!
Cheers
Micky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back