Tempered hardboard wall

Gri

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have removed old wallpaper and found the wall is made of hardboard with a sticky glue that won’t come off ! I’ve used all kinds of Strippers, etc. What can I use to get off my walls so I can paint! Please help!

Sponsored Links
I have removed old wallpaper and found the wall is made of hardboard with a sticky glue that won’t come off ! I’ve used all kinds of Strippers, etc. What can I use to get off my walls so I can paint! Please help!

Are you sure it is not an ex-home of John Christie? He was famed for hiding bodies behind wall papered hard board panels.

Masonite (oil tempered hardboard) wall panelling was used as (interior and sometimes exterior) cladding over timber framing in some American buildings from the 1920s to the 1950s. One of the few places I can recall seeing it used that way in the UK was a little place called Jaywick near Clacton, where it was used extensively in holiday cottages before WWII. It does occasionally turn up in old buildings where it has been used to provide a smooth surface over the top of old lath and plaster walls rather than reskimming, but it isn't that common these days in my experience, presumably because most of the Barry Bucknall "upgrades" were ripped outin the 70s and 80s (at least one hopes they were!)

For wallpapering the paste would surely be water-based, so petrochemical-type solvent strippers simply wouldn't work on oyt. I think I'd try either a plain hot water wash or failing that (on order of severity) a hot solution of either sugar soap, washing soda crystals, and if that didn't do the trick possibly caustic soda solution - the latter is dangerous stuff and requires the use of rubber gloves, eye protection and good ventilation. The surfaces shouldn't be flooded, just wiped over with a damp stockinette dish cloth which has been dipped in the clea ing solution, and several applications may be necessary to get rid of the original adhesive.

After using washing soda or caustic the surfaces should be wiped over with a damp stockinette cloth which is rinsed in clean water and rung out regularly

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Can I prime over glue?

Attachments

• 685D8DB8-7830-437D-B4BA-68FE3A46BA72.jpeg
    685D8DB8-7830-437D-B4BA-68FE3A46BA72.jpeg
    593.9 KB · Views: 100
Trying to prime over any adhesive is potentially going to fail. Ideally you need to either get the adhesive off, or possibly consider covering it with something else (not a paint or a primer). You have already tried solvents and failed, but have you actually tried removing it with water or a water- based product such as sugar soap or soda crystals? Substances which don't dissolve in petrochemicals will often dissolve in eater or water + a detergent.

BTW, that material looks more like chipboard - hardboard and masonite have a very consistent texture and lack any wood splinters or coarse fibres. Rather a strange choice for wall cladding.

Last edited by a moderator:
The man who owned this house before definitely took the cheap way!

I have used warm water hot water! Never heard of it I don’t know what sugar crystals are?

Can I put bead board over this mess?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back