Which grab adhesive to use for hardboard ceiling covering (NOT Geocel the Works!)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm patching up the small ceiling in my airing cupboard as it was quite unsightly, especially where the pipes come through.

I bought some 3mm hardboard, cut it to shape, cut the holes for the pipes, etc, added a lick of paint, and checked it would fit well. All good... For a change :) So now just to fix it in place...

I've got a tube of Geocel the Works that I've been using as a sealant on another job. So I thought I'd use that. But it hasn't stuck at all! I thought I had used loads of stuff, so I'm not sure what has gone wrong. It's left a bloody mess though which I'll now have to get rid of!

Anyhow, so I wondered if anyone can recommend what would be best to use? Because the hardboard has been cut to fit, and the ceiling is sloped with protruding pipes etc, it is quite tricky to get it in there.

1. What would be ideal is something that gives me a minute or two to make sure I have it in the right position. But then sets and sets a damn sight better than the Geocel did/didn't.

2. Also it would be easier for me to put the adhesive on the ceiling rather than the hardboard, so something that can stick to the ceiling while I apply it would be needed. I guess if I had to apply it to the hardboard though I could.

3. If applying it to the ceiling, I'll need something that comes in a skeleton gun type tube...

4. Preferably in white or clear so if I make a mess it won't be too much of a headache (the Geocel was grey :confused: )

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi foxhole

Would you mind telling me a little more about in what ways it would be a fire hazard? I'm presuming it is down to what would happen to it in the event of a fire, as opposed to it being able to catch fire by being too close to a hot water pipe or anything like that. But is that right?

Thanks for the link to the Soudal Soudafoam B3. Is that stuff quite instant grabbing? I think where I went wrong with the Geocel is that it takes time to cure. I knew it wasn't instant, but I thought it would stick pretty much instantly and so hold in place, even if the "proper" bond took a lot longer. I was wrong! And it probably didn't help that it was hard to hold in position for a decent length of time.

So whatever I end up using needs to have instant-ish grab as I can't be in there for any decent length of time to hold the board (or what ever) in place. But anything too instant might mean it sticks before I've got it positioned correctly. Any suggestions as to the best product would be fantastic.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back