Fixing battens between ceiling joists from below

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I can't see that this fits anywhere else, and I'm getting right fed up of my house, so I hope some of you might have advice!

Ceiling in one of my untouched bedrooms is lath and plaster. The room also has a couple of lath and plaster stud walls, which, after finally getting through layers of varnished woodchip over wallpaper, over lining paper over, apparently, self adhesive vinyl:unsure:, turn out to be beggared. I'll be taking these down and getting them reboarded, but I really want to avoid pulling my ceiling down too - it's basically sound, but, as it looks a bit crap from having had polystyrene tiles and coving on it, I'll probably overboard - my ceilings are quite high, so it won't matter if I lose a few inches (never thought I'd say that :D). Also, before I realised how messed up the rest of the house was, I had my loft insulated and boarded, so I don't want to disturb that, if I can avoid it.

Currently, the light fitting in the bedroom is not fixed to the joist, just the laths; as I'm going to be overboarding anyway, can I just cut an access hole in the current ceiling, fix a more solid batten between the two joists on the bottom, and screw light fitting into that?
It would save a lot of messing around in the loft, make the light fitting more secure and wouldn't affect the finished ceiling, as I'd just make a hole in the plasterboard.

That makes sense to me, but I've never done it before; does that sound about right to you? Is there a better way or have I missed something important?
Thanks
Vardo

Sponsored Links
yes just use plasterboard fixings for your light. or if its a heavy fitting remove enough ceilng and fix a 6x6” ply to the back of your new pb with a hole for the cables

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back