Tempered hardboard wall

Sponsored Links
You are not helpful and Fred is dead

Sponsored Links
You are not helpful and Fred is dead
Maybe, but his twin is alive and well, and posting on here.

Oh, I am US. Tennessee
This is a British forum, so the outlets I was talking about (e.g. Screwfix, B&Q, etc) don't exist in the USA - AFAIK the nearest to B&Q would be Home Depot, Lowe's or Mennards. I had to look up what sugar soap is called in the USA (in the USA, "sugar soap" is actually a beauty product and is completely different to the product we know here). Apparently, according to Wikipedia, in USA the product is called trisodium phosphate, also known as "TSP". Furthermore, the wall material you posted a photograph is nothing like what we call masonite in the UK.

Not very helpful, I know, but I think you really need to find a USA-based DIY forum such as maybe Hometalk?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Gri
how thick is the material, it looks more like fibreboard, if so it will be 9-12mm thick, hardboard would be about 4-6 mmthick

• Thanks
Reactions: Gri
I can’t measure it’s on the wall with some sticky glue I can’t get off so I can paint it.

So you still haven't got the sticky stuff off. Exactly what have you tried on it to remove the sticky stuff? (Product names and/or chemical names would help) And did you try TSP?

I am debating on putting Kilz on it then paint? You think that will work?

So you still haven't got the sticky stuff off. Exactly what have you tried on it to remove the sticky stuff? (Product names and/or chemical names would help) And did you try TSP?
No I’ve tried TSP, everything!

Yes, tried TSP, Wallpaper Stripper, Goo Gone, Acetone.

Rip the walls down and rebuild the place. Might be easier

That’s a lot for me! Husband in hospice and can’t afford someone to do it. I have Kilz Primer and wondered if that would work so I could then paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back