Temporarily remove toilet and sink pedestal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

As the title says I am having to re-lay my bathroom floor due to a poor job done previously. It was tiled and these go under the toilet and sink. I am hoping to remove these temporarily to lay the floor.

Any advice on doing this, things to watch for etc.? I have never removed either of these things before and am apprehensive. Both are fairly modern style and the toilet is a corner toilet. I have some pictures to upload if these would help, but i'm not sure how to upload? I was hoping i would be able to remove just the pedestal and leave the sink in place whilst I do the work, is that possible?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Check to see how your basin is fixed to the wall. If it is fixed by fischer bolts you should be able to loosen them and carefully remove the pedestal. Look under the basin, if you can see a nut and a plastic washer going through the holes, then that is a fischer bolt. I would also isolate the water supply just in case. You can use a piece of timber to temporarily hold the basin in place whilst tiling.

If you have floorboards, you will probably find sheet plywood under the tiles. If you can get he adhesive off it can be re-used. The screw heads will be filled with adhesive and it will be difficult to remove them.

For re-tiling, if you are confident enough, use fast setting adhesive which will set in about four hours (adhesive working time around twenty minutes) allowing you to get things back to normal as soon as possible.

Thanks for that. When I get time I will try.

Both the toilet and sink are 'enclosed' and I cannot see behind, it is loose on one side of the sink and seems to be some kind of thick polystyrene type stuff (?) which is held on with maybe silicone? Am I ok just to cut this off and re-use it? Then I will try and make more sense of what is behind.

I have watched some 'how to' videos of removing toilets, but none seem to look like mine. I could upload some pictures if someone can tell me how or point me in the direction of instructions? I was wondering if I could just remove the toilet base and leave the cistern where it is, temporarily.

Thanks

Thanks for that. When I get time I will try.

Both the toilet and sink are 'enclosed' and I cannot see behind, it is loose on one side of the sink and seems to be some kind of thick polystyrene type stuff (?) which is held on with maybe silicone? Am I ok just to cut this off and re-use it? Then I will try and make more sense of what is behind.

I have watched some 'how to' videos of removing toilets, but none seem to look like mine. I could upload some pictures if someone can tell me how or point me in the direction of instructions? I was wondering if I could just remove the toilet base and leave the cistern where it is, temporarily.

Thanks

Yes, it would be good if you could upload some pics

Sponsored Links
The toilet will have to be removed completely. Is that 'boxing in' at the sides of the pedestal or part of the pedestal? Either way it look like there is quite a big lip under the basin so I doubt whether you will be able to remove the pedestal only.

I think where you mean is where it is 'boxed in'. I have done a picture to show where this is, there is also a triangle at the top across the back. Under this is a wood frame which the cistern is attached too. so im guessing it will need to come off that. There are two screws inside the cistern, will this be how to remove it?

Oh, pictures won't load at work but i'll do it later. If you could give me some idea of where the screws etc may be located to remove the toilet.

Thanks for your help :)

There should be a couple of screws inside the cistern (If not, cistern may be just silicone to the wall). The screws for the pan should be in the holes at the side but it looks like there are none. Pan might be siliconed to the floor.

Yeah I think I have located the screws for the cistern.

With the pan, if it is siliconed to the floor what is the best way to get this off? If there were screws in the holes on the floor would they be obviously evident, as there are none I can see but may be some right 'inside'?

How will the pan and cistern be connected, or will the cistern just be 'sat on' the pan (!) :p

I hope you can see that. I cut away the boxing in bit just now and it looks ok, the toilet moved as well so i guess its not secured to the floor with anything. there was a line of silicone between cistern and toilet, would this be all that attaches them? Behind I can see the waste pipe and the in-pipe for the cistern. Will the cistern one just go into the bottom and screw out of there?

Also, the white stuff that holds the boxing in and other ceramic bits, is it silicone or caulk?

Sorry about all the questions!

I hope you can see that. I cut away the boxing in bit just now and it looks ok, the toilet moved as well so i guess its not secured to the floor with anything. there was a line of silicone between cistern and toilet, would this be all that attaches them? Behind I can see the waste pipe and the in-pipe for the cistern. Will the cistern one just go into the bottom and screw out of there?

Also, the white stuff that holds the boxing in and other ceramic bits, is it silicone or caulk?

Sorry about all the questions!

If the cistern is loose and the pan is loose, you might be able to (with some help) move the whole thing in one go rather than splitting them. There will not be any screws deep inside the holes. What you might find are two plastic brackets screwed to the floor (the pan is normally then screwed to the brackets) but it looks unlikely. Cut the silicon with a sharp blade and you should be able to carefully remove the whole thing. Don't forget there will be a water connection at the back of the pan which possibly will be a flexi connector.

That's great. Yeah i'm pretty sure the toilet is not screwed to the floor. Any advice when removing the waste pipe and water pipe? things to watch for?

With the sink, is there any key points to be looking for screws etc as I can't see any. Or could the sink just be siliconed to the wall? The builder who renovated are house has seemed to 'cut corners' in a few places so it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm planning on taking them off tomorrow after work to lay self-levelling compound and then plywood, so hopefully things go smoothly!

Thanks for your help so far

TOILET

Isolate water supply

Flush toilet

Put some towels under the fill valve/ball valve and undo the back nut, This should not be difficult to undo. There will be a small amount of water so try and catch it in a container.

Bale out the water in the pan as much a s possible, I find a plastic cup is good for this, then cut down to half size as water gets difficult to remove.

There will still be a small amount of water from the pan connector when removed, so again put some towels down.

Fitting is reverse. Don't overtighten the nut when re connrcting the fill valve (it will probably be a flexi pipe) so check condition and replace if it looks dodgy. If its a fixed pipe, check the condition of the fibre washer inside the fitting and replace if necessary.

BASIN

If you can't find any screws then I am assuming that it was all just siliconed in place like the toilet.

Hope that helps

Can I ask what the problem is with the floor tiles (sorry just being nosey) :LOL:

Brilliant, thats really helpful.

Hopefully all the steps will go smoothly!

Its ok, the tiles were fine, very nice and underfloor heating etc when we moved in. Four years later due to half of the tiles laid 'dot and dab' they began to crack and break! The other side remained fine. I have been putting the job off for ages, mainly becuase i'm unsure of what I am doing but happy to try. So your help has been great. Feeling more confident about it now and just want to get going tonight.

I will keep you updated and come back with more questions i'm sure!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back