Temporarily remove toilet and sink pedestal

As an aside, I am thinking of replacing the mixer tap on the bath before I put it back in. Are the holes a standard size, i.e. any double mixer tap will do? I have been lookiing at this one on screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/p/h-and-c-turn-dual-commercial-lever-bath-shower-mixer-bathroom-tap/25843

how would I check that that will fit my existing pipe work as I had a nightmare with a kitchen tap!

Cheers

In theory the hole centres should be the same (from memory, I think they are 180mm??) and the tap tails should be the same. Same advice for flexis or fixed pipe work.

Sponsored Links
Well, I have tackled the floor and that went ok. Removing the toilet was ok and came off all in one. I left the sink in place as i managed to get the tile out from underneath and it stayed 'floating' overnight.

Laid the ply this morning and then replacing the toilet. I got it all on ok, then puddle of water appeared underneath. I could not find the source and all connectors seemed in place and were not wet. I took it off, dried it and then put back and made sure everything was really firm. A smaller puddle has now appeared and again the connectors seem dry. I wondered if I had cracked the toilet somewhere but can't seem to see anything. Do you have any ideas? The leak isn't as obvious now, I have felt some water down on side of the cistern/base and wondered if that was it, but it may just have been still wet and cold so hard to tell. Is there anything I could have missed? There was a slight 'wobble' when I put it back which i need to sort when I lay new tiles but I have wedged some ply under it for now and it seems settled.

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks

well I have found the leak. It was the joints between the cistern and toilet. We have been taking these off and used PTFE and some silicone to make it tight. I managed to get it to the point where there is only a really slow leak, with the occasional drip. That may do for now. I think I can't quite get the plastic nut on enough. It is plastic with some little 'wings', which are really hard to grip. Would you suggest buying a new nut without wings so I can use a spanner or something to help tighten it? Or is there another technique as i can't use a spanner due to the 'wings'.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's a closed coupled toilet, I assume there is a rubber doughnut that seals the cistern to the toilet? If these aren't placed correctly or been overtightened before, when re-using them then they can leak past the creases that have been made in them.

May need to replace it.

Having trouble with the wing nuts then one of these might help

http://www.screwfix.com/p/toilet-seat-installation-tool/62412

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back