Temporarily removing a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not long been in a new property and I need to remove a rad to have the wall behind skimmed.

Ive honestly never took one off before. Whats the easiest way? The central heating system is run by a Ferroli combi. Would I need to turn this completely off?

Cheers for any forthcoming advice.

P.s. Ive tried uploading a couple of pics of each valve but cannae even bleedin well do that right....aarrrgggghhhh!!!!!!:mad:

Sponsored Links
Turn both rad valves completely off. If one valve is a TRV then you'll need to take the head off and fit the decorators cap (that came with the original valve) which will completely depress the pin on the valve, shutting the water supply off. The boiler can be left on.
Undo the nuts that fix the valves onto the rad (you'll need a shallow tray to catch the water that is contained in the rad) and allow it to drain down. Undoing the square bleed valve at the top speeds things up.
When alls dry, and the water drench has stopped, lift the rad from its brackets (give it a hose flush while you're at it) and put it to one side.
Refitting is a complete reversal of removing, but you'll need to repressurise the system once the valves are turned on again. If you are unsure of the corrosion inhibitor levels in your system, now is the chance to sort it.
John :)

John....

That reply was spot on mate thanks.

Couple more questions though. I know what you mean about the caps but where would I get one from as the thermo control valve was on when we moved in. Also, good idea about the flushing but you've lost me abit about the corrosion. I know there's muck in the system as the boiler needed fixing the weekend we moved in and they did mention it.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back