Temporary Ground anchor suggestions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following the storms a few months ago, which destroyed both of my 24'x12' field shelters, I am keen on the replacements staying put.
fieldshelters (1).jpg
fieldshelters (2).jpg

So, I am looking for a reasonably priced way of providing some added storm-resistance. I have looked at http://www.groundbolt.co.uk/field_shelters.html, but don't want to spend so much if I can get away with it.

I was considering driving two fencing
pin.jpg

pins in at angles at each end and securing to the shelter with wire/chain.

Anyone have better suggestions? Bear in mind they need to be removable.

Sponsored Links
Fixing the bottom of a weak shelter to the ground will not stop it being destroyed by wind and / or heavy rain / hail. Anchoring the walls to the ground will only mean that most of the debris remains where it was and is not blown away across the field.

Making the structure stronger and adding diagonal bracing will reduce the risk of it being broken into pieces by storm force winds. A well built shelter could survive being blown around the field without suffering much damage.

As bernard says your issue is not with attaching to the ground. Its more to do with constructing it specifically to resist wind racking and uplift against the roof.

Wind will blow into the open doors and try to get out by blowing the roof off. The building will be prone to diagonal movement crushing and sagging so as bernard mentioned its important to add diagonal bracing within the stud walls and ideally sheathing the whole building in ply before cladding it. the ply sheathing is very good for adding stiffness.

Internally sheathed in osb. So... getting back to the subject of anchoring. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
On the super cheap side, how about Builders Band attached at four corner posts of shed and set into four Concrete pilings.
http://www.screwfix.com/search?search=builders+band
BUT I agree with the others, my worry is that my method will leave you with only the four corner posts after the next storm if the rest of the structure is not suitably braced and connected. sfk

Just my take on the anchors: They're pricey, but they look easy to install. Most other options I can thing of involve a fair bit of digging, making concrete or using something like concrete lintel, and then buying chain, threaded bar, or builders band (as per SFK's post above) and making it all up. You might end up finding it's not that cheap anyway, and you end up with a lot of work.
Been there on occasion! :rolleyes:
Again, I'd agree with the others. The structure itself needs to be very strong to resist the wind.

The ground anchors look good and i dont really think they are terribly pricey for what they are. They are though mainly for resistant lateral movement not the lifting force your structure would experience. I would either use these would use a concrete godfather/ repair spur and bolt the wall to that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back