Temporary weather protection for electrical sockets

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our conservatory roof has reached the end of it's life and we are getting it replaced. As the base and walls are not being touched there's no electrical work needed, but due to our external connected utility room roof needing some work after conservatory roof has come down and before a new conservatory roof can be installed, the conservatory will temporarily be open to the elements.

So how can I temporarily protect the sockets and switches from the elements?

Sponsored Links
If yu cant isolate that part of the circuit, then I'd remove the fronts, joint with either onnector blocks or crimps, pack enough compound in to toally surround the joints, then I'd put a blank plate on and go round the top and side edges with silicon sealent

Thanks for the idea.

As we could do with some new sockets and the walls could do with a coat of paint I had thought about using flashband to cover the whole socket and onto the wall - cheap and little work but still waterproof. A bad idea or not?

Much will depend on local conditions but in the past I have stuck plastic over sockets with silicon sealant leaving the bottom without any seal so water can't build up.
Denso tape is another method but very hard to remove all grease after.
Vaseline is also a good water seal and easy to clean off latter and I have simply filled socket holes with Vaseline as it does not really matter after if never removed it will do no harm.
Removing sockets often makes things worse as it allows things including spiders to gain access to back box and does not give as much protection as original socket.
Really a case of common sense even cello-tape can be used but this tends to come off when wet but insulation tape over holes may help.

Sponsored Links
Please promise you'll never tell us why you have ready access to large amounts of Vaseline..... :eek:

yep a tarpaulin or sheets off 6mm ply assuming its a few weeks

These show US socket outlets, but I'm sure it would be OK for UK ones.

photo256-1.jpg

photo256-2.jpg

DISCLAIMER - the images above are for illustrative purposes only, and any resemblance to a genuine solution are purely coincidental.

The value of your life may go down as well as up if you try this at home.

If in doubt consult a qualified funeral director.

ericmark, thanks for the ideas.

Coljack, some of the area will be tarp'ed but part can't by the utilty room cant be due to the roof work on that. It's that area I want to protect the sockets and one switch.

what roof work over the utility?
can you not stick up a temporary structure over it using some 2x4's and a tarpaulin.. make a kind of tent over the area you're working in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back