Ten Inch Skirtings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am just about to start fitting 10 inch Victorian style skirting boards to my living room. They come in 2 pieces with the moulded bit having a groove and the plain bit having a tongue.

I have been experimenting with how best to join the 2 pieces and in doing so have discovered that firstly the tongue is not machined centrally and secondly the shoulder of the plain part seems to be higher on the back.

The effect is that if I clamp the boards tight they cup and if I ensure the front of the boards are flat there is a gap.

Any advice on the best way of joining them?

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
I guess there is supposed to be a gap along the back?

Maybe but they are only planed one side. I am going to have to look at routing a couple of mil off the back shoulder on every board!!

Spoke to the manufacturer this morning and to be fair they offered to replace them but I can't be doing with the hassle.I am now reducing the height of the shoulder with my power plane then gluing together. Done the first one and whilst its a bit annoying I am getting there.

Sponsored Links
I saw something about 10 inch skirts and got all excited.

This thread has thoroughly disappointed me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back