Skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've moved into a late Victorian house, high ceilings, large windows etc. All needs decorating.

The current skirting is 6 inch & quite plain. Has a slight detail at the top very similar to standard ogee. It's not the original skirting.

I want to make more of a feature with woodwork & ideally 9 inch would look better with the high ceilings. Instead of replacing all of the skirting, is there anything I could use to extend them & add more detail?

I'm thinking a 2 inch dado rail or some thing similar, beading etc. Or would it look naff?

Any suggestions would be great. I've looked at buying new mdf Victorian profile skirtings 9" cheapest I could find was about £7 per linearmetre

As opposed to about £1 pm for adding dado or something similar.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Quite common to make up high skirting from more than one piece.Ensure a tight fit to stop it looking like it's added on.

try to befriend your neighbours. Some of them, in similar houses, will still have the original skirting, maybe also architrave and doors. You might find some in a skip, where an ignorant vandal is busy devaluing his home. If you can find a local chapter of the Victorian Society they will have been through all this and may know local suppliers.

Front halls and reception rooms tend to have the biggest and fanciest joinery and plasterwork, followed by the main bedroom. Back rooms and small bedrooms may have been very plain, possibly not even having picture rails.

I've seen repro skirting made up to match from MDF and a router, in small quantities.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, but I have an entire house to do & am trying to find a quick simple (and cheap) solution!

I appreciate that you can get great replicas & have things bespoke & made to match but I don't have the funds for such

Could someone please point me in the right direction, what should I be using on top of the skirting? Dado, beading, picture rail, architrave??

Instead of replacing all of the skirting, is there anything I could use to extend them & add more detail?
You came to the right place!
https://burnleyhouse.wordpress.com/2017/07/14/the-lounge-and-how-to-improve-torus-skirting/
https://burnleyhouse.wordpress.com/2017/01/23/how-to-make-your-own-mouldings/
https://burnleyhouse.wordpress.com/2017/07/18/new-kitchen-door-completed/

what should I be using on top of the skirting? Dado, beading, picture rail, architrave??
Any and all. Whatever you can find that looks good and in proportion with the existing Torus profile. In another room I have found that my Torus is thick enough that I can fit some cheap scotia (normally sold for laminate flooring) along the top of it and it enhances the profile quite simply but nicely.

Last edited:
Here's how my scotia on Torus turned out:
cimg2705.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back