Skirting over skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Victorian flat which has been rewired leaving holes in skirting where sockets have been removed.

The flat is about to be replastered.

I would like to avoid removing the existing skirting as potentially the refitting of new skirting could be problematic.

I know that there are products which are designed to be fitted on top of existing skirting but this is expensive.

What I would like to know is could I replicate the original two part skirting used elesewhere in the house by pinning an MDF face on top of the existing skirting and capping with a moulding?

The MDF I use would come at least to the top of the existing skirting and the new moulding pinned/ glued to the top of the existing skirting moulding, resulting in a new skirting a couple of inches higher than the original.

Obviously the new arrangement would be thicker than the original and I would have to cater for padding out the bottom of door architrave to allow new skirting to butt against.

Sponsored Links
ronmac, hi.

How about considering fitting flat blank plastic electric blanking plate over the holes?

Ken.

Why can't the holes be filled; I'd use 2 part wood filler, but you need to sand it level before it goes off completely. You could drop a piece of wood into the hole first that sits below the surface level, so that you don't use too much filler

I would like to avoid removing the existing skirting as potentially the refitting of new skirting could be problematic.
No reason why it should be.

Sponsored Links
What I would like to know is could I replicate the original two part skirting used elesewhere in the house by pinning an MDF face on top of the existing skirting and capping with a moulding?
Of course you can, if that's what you think will work best for you. Alternatively you could simply stick some less-tall skirting onto the existing. This would cover the holes and create the appearance of really thick, ornate skirting.

Alternatively you could simply stick some less-tall skirting onto the existing. This would cover the holes and create the appearance of really thick, ornate skirting.
They did this on part of the refurb I'm currently busy with - and frankly it looks ghastly even though the original skirtings are 15in high

Can't oblige, I'm afraid. The conservation officer saw it and with the architect agreed that it was a non-original dog's dinner. We ripped it out in August or September last year, although we retained the original Victorian top mouldings for possible re-use

Thanks everyone. sorry for delay in replying. I registered for forum and posted my query then forgot which site I had joined!

I had considered inserting a piece of timber to fill the holes and then plane down, fill edges and sand.

I may try this first.

Or in some of the rooms with higher ornate skirting I may simply reface the skirting with MDF and leave the original mouldings in place.

The rooms with the not so good boards I will try either my original idea or remove and replace as they are already embedded in the plaster and skimming with new plaster will make them even more recessed and look bad I think.

I dont think the electrical blanking plates would look great but is certainly the easiest and cheapest option, so I wont say no in case I fall on my face trying to be clever!

As for filling I have to admit I never seem to get a good finish. Would I use 2 part wood filler or is car body filler any good as I have read eleswhere (probaly on this forum).

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I will post an update when I make progress.

By the way another question. Why do tradesmen either not turn up orgo AWOL part way through?

Ronnie

Try car body filler, Ronnie......sets in 20 minutes and sands down perfectly. Only my opinion, but its better than wood filler which is much the same but maybe slightly more granular.
Cheaper, too!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back