Tips / tool for cutting skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to fit a new fireplace mantel to replace an existing one. When they fitted the existing mantel they cut the skirting so it fit flush but the new mantal is slightly wider and I need to trim off about an inch of skirting each side. I have already had the wall replastered and decorated and am worried about cutting the skirting without damaging the new plaster or creating cracks it when trying to cut / remove the the excess skirting, any tips on the best way to go this or whats the best tool for such a job ?

Cheers :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If you have a drill and [sharp] chisel, then just drill a series of vertical holes leaving a few mm to the cut line required, and then finish off with the chisel - by pushing it rather than hitting it with a mallet/hammer.

You may even be able to trim it with a sharp stanley knife instead of the chisel

Or cut with a tenon saw, place a bit of hardboard or something up against the plaster so you don't damage it, and a block of wood vertically to give you a straight cut line. You wont get all the way through with this, but your remainder can be cut with a stanley knife

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back