Skirting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What’s the best way to finish this off (see photo attached)

I don’t know if I should trim the existing timber which runs down the stairs back flush with the wall and then fit the skirting or fit the skirting and then cut the overhang off.

Any ideas?

thanks

Attachments

• D14D0BE6-8667-4FE2-9D6F-A6EE1152D1E3.jpeg
    D14D0BE6-8667-4FE2-9D6F-A6EE1152D1E3.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 234
Sponsored Links
I'd be wary of trimming that back to floor level simply because the top ends of the stringers are notched out on the underside so that they can sit on the trimmer (doubled-up timbers beneath the floor) and carry the weight of the stairs. The "safest" (i.e. least risky, easiest) approach would simply be to box-in the floor area at the side of the stairs to the height of the skirting and then to run skirting across the front of the boxing. However, I don't feel that is really such an elegant solution. Instead if you can open the underdrawings on the stairs up and add several anchors into the wall through the lower part of the stringer, especially one just below the top half tread, so that the stringer is fully supported by the wall, it should be possible to support the weight of the stairs. This really needs to be done carefully and competently because this notching weakens the top of the stairs quite a lot and needs to be compensated for. Having done that the underdrawings can be replaced, then it will be possible to notch the top of the stringer and get a return into the new wall. Either way the transition from stringer to skirting will be potentially awkward and you may need to think in terms of a corner block (say 35 x 22mm planed softwood or the like, assuming a 32mm stringer and 18mm skirting) to make the transition easier on the eye because of differences in top mouldings, etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back