Terminating Cat 5E cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am setting up CCTV Cameras. Not all runs are same length so necessary to cut cable and terminate according to length of run.

As you know CAT 5e cable is of 8 strands. I am finding it very difficult to get the strands lined up flat for insertion.

I have seen on a site where someone said use CAT 6 connectors, as they are easier, but would they fit into the NVR recorder ?.

Thank you for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi.

I am setting up CCTV Cameras. Not all runs are same length so necessary to cut cable and terminate according to length of run.

As you know CAT 5e cable is of 8 strands. I am finding it very difficult to get the strands lined up flat for insertion.

I have seen on a site where someone said use CAT 6 connectors, as they are easier, but would they fit into the NVR recorder ?.

Thank you for any advice.

The correct way is to run the long none flexible cable to a socket, which uses IDC connections then use a ready made flexible CAT5 cable from the socket to the camera. It can be quite difficult to get a decent crimp connection with solid core CAT 5 cable, in an RJ45 plug.

My first attempt a fitting RJ45 connectors went fairly straightforward. I found that pushing them into the connector flattened and straightened them out nicely so I made the strands longer than I needed, got them in the right order, inserted them, removed them, trimmed, inserted again, made sure still in right order, if not, correct them, insert, remove, trim and then when at the right depth (with the outer cable sheath at the correct depth), crimped them. Job done.

Sponsored Links
Thank you.

Following your comments, I found EZ-RJ45 Category 6 connectors. I guess they should fit in the NVR Recorder? .

There is a knack to getting them in, I strip back too much line them up and then with a good pair of cutters cut so they are about the length of a finger nail and push in. Easier said than done I know but practice makes perfect.

Hi.

Harry Bloomfield. I got few of the 'push through' connectors but concerned the multi-core will short out.

Can you please let me know which IDC connections you mention and all the bits I will need?

Thank you.

Please.

Whilst I am knowledgeable in my trade, I am a novice with these.

Can someone please, say exactly what to get and how to set up the complete connection.

You all seems very skilled and knowledgeable in this field.

Thank you. I apologise if I am being a nuisance.

Try these.

I also bought this kit from Amazon - contained everything I needed including 10 rj45 ends

B5614B32-0E57-4BD5-9608-D0F0467FE34C.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back