Terrestrial signal -> Sky dish -> digibox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This problem is outside my usual domain, but am hoping someone with The Knowledge will see this...

A tenant has just moved into a flat that has a satellite dish on the wall outside, but the landlord had removed the receiver/decoder box from inside the house, hasn't provided anything else, and is now uncooperative.

The agent installed a Freeview digibox, thinking that this would decode the signal from the satellite dish. I said that it wouldn't, but the agent's manager say that it can, 'cos he does the same thing at home.

I see only two alternatives:

1. Install a roof aerial (narrowband, wideband, whatever) and connect that to the digibox (or TV or whatever);
or
2. Install a satellite receiver/decoder.

Is this right? Are there any other alternatives?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The agent is talking pants. What a laugh.

Your two stated options are both valid and the choice would depend on how good the terrestial signal is in the area. If it's poor then go for Sky. A Sky digibox should just plug and play and you don't need a subscription to receive the free channels.

Thanks blondini. Just to confirm - is the agent's idea pants because the two signals are incompatible? :confused:

The local terrestrial reception is very good as long as the aerial is high enough to clear all the new townhouses.

When you say "Sky digibox", am I correct in believing that any digibox will work with a terrestrial aerial?

For sky, you do need a one of card for free view channels (you get BBC1, BBC2, CH4 only with out card). The card is around £90, and is a one of fee.

Sponsored Links
Lectrician said:
For sky, you do need a one of card for free view channels (you get BBC1, BBC2, CH4 only with out card). The card is around £90, and is a one of fee.
if you already have a sky digibox you can get free to view card for £20pounds ,just ring sky when you get the card you will have to tell them the box serail number etc etc to activate it

see http://www.freesatfromsky.com/?pID=6

a sky digi box and a terrestrial digi box are both different they receive digtial signals but at two differents frequncys

So, let me see if I've got this right.

There's a satellite dish outside. Does this have to be Sky, or could be for another service?

If Sky, then a Sky (or compatible) decoder can be bought outright, and quite cheaply.

And if that's done, then a 'viewing card' can be bought outright, and for merely £20.

Is that all correct? If so, then it sounds like there's an easy way forward. :D

a dish is a dish . not sky not any one ,a dish receives both anologue and digital singals there not two sseperate dishes as some people like you to belive .
but if you want to receive sky then it must be facing the right direction 28degrees due south ,if in uk then is probally already is .

if you already got a old sky box then buy a £20 pound card and away you go ,if you havent got a box try boot sale, local adds etc as lots of peeps now have sky plus boxes and the old one s a going cheap

or if youu got good tv reception and a aerail on roof get a freeveiw box cheap from hight street supermakerts its up to you

OK - I believe I've got this straight now.

Last question - who sells the viewing cards? Sky, or high street retailers?

Thanks to all who've answered - it's been... an education. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back