Terrible Condensation

It'll give a clue about the thermal performance of the existing glazing- if the new pane doesn't fog up then it's one symptom solved (tho maybe not the disease). The 'seals' are probably just the usual window fitters substitute for measuring up properly, may be getting cold air behind the frame but without a pic, hard to tell
C277EB50-3EAF-4601-AA64-E8E5B4B1D62E.jpeg

Sponsored Links
That’s the lounge and a lot of the bedrooms are like that around the inside of the windows. That’s why I was wondering whether it might have something to do with the external white silicone that seals the windows in?

That's not right if it's damp!

It doesn't look like condensation either as that appears on the glass itself usually.
That looks like rainwater being blown through?

Does that sound right?

What does the window look like from outside?

Sponsored Links
Yeah I don’t think that is anything to do with the condensation. I think that’s prob because the white silicone sealant round the windows needs redoing and is letting in rain or damp.

would that be adding to my condensation problem do you think?

I’m just waiting for the weather to improve here and then I will get the silicone redone on all windows.

Yeah I don’t think that is anything to do with the condensation. I think that’s prob because the white silicone sealant round the windows needs redoing and is letting in rain or damp.

would that be adding to my condensation problem do you think?

I’m just waiting for the weather to improve here and then I will get the silicone redone on all windows.

I ain't no builder but I've never seen the inside of windows wet like that.

I am reminded of your comment about a new roof and timber frame.

Timber frame needs specific ventilation and sealing, damp proofing, etc.

If your new roof is dumping water into the walls, it would appear at the window joints wouldn't it?

I don't know. I'll repeat my suggestion for a proper survey.

The fact that the damp looks uniform across the length of the window looks odd unless you've no external sealing at all?

And even then, windows are sealed into the frame internally as well.

Looks odd.

If your windows are that bad, then it might explain the cold as your walls are constantly ventilated.

Maybe others here have a better idea.

The new roof can’t be the problem as I’ve had this since day one. The different roofers that I had out all said that the old roof was in a very bad way and the tiles were crumbling when they showed me them.

the person that owned the house before me had put boards on the ceiling in the loft and they were all damp and rotting as the roof was that bad so it’s quite possible that the house has some drying out to do as well.

The new roof can’t be the problem as I’ve had this since day one. The different roofers that I had out all said that the old roof was in a very bad way and the tiles were crumbling when they showed me them.

the person that owned the house before me had put boards on the ceiling in the loft and they were all damp and rotting as the roof was that bad so it’s quite possible that the house has some drying out to do as well.

Do you still have boards in the loft?

Boarding can stop moisture escaping the house. (Probably why yours were wet)

No all the boards and old insulation had to be taken out as they were damp/wet and starting to rot away.

Are the upstairs room windows affected more than downstairs windows?

That image to me looks like a cold bridge/damp wick - whereby a small portion of the outside masonry is visible beyond the DPC break (older propery jamb detail) after the window was positioned and fixed.

This is often an issue with window fitters preferring not to shove the window far enough back into the room. Rather, they position the window (wrongly) so that it is easir for them to fix but leave a small amount of external masonry visible beyond the edge of the window jamb.

A small amount of the external lintel is visible here along with condensation dripping off the external lintel.
I took this photo to show the window fitting boss.

That image to me looks like a cold bridge/damp wick - whereby a small portion of the outside masonry is visible beyond the DPC break (older propery jamb detail) after the window was positioned and fixed.

This is often an issue with window fitters preferring not to shove the window far enough back into the room. Rather, they position the window (wrongly) so that it is easir for them to fix but leave a small amount of external masonry visible beyond the edge of the window jamb.

A small amount of the external lintel is visible here along with condensation dripping off the external lintel.
I took this photo to show the window fitting boss.
Ah yes I see exactly what you mean. Thanks very much!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back