Test Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From an existing power supply I fitted a 13amp neon switched fused spur. From this I ran a supply through conduit to a shed office. In the shed I installed two double switched sockets.

I would be grateful to learn whether I need a test certificate? If so can a local contractor do it?

Sponsored Links
2.5mm cable
Plastic conduit
House wall, underground for 1m, along a fence into shed
15m to shed
Circuit protected by mini ELCBs and earth leakage trip

Sponsored Links
How Deep is the conduit, has it got any warning tape over it? Why didn't you use SWA?

As said to comply with BS7671 the circuit has three distinct processes.

It is designed, and the person doing the designing has to sign to say it complies.
It is installed, and again the installer has to sign to say it complied.
And it is inspected and tested, and again some one signs to say it has been done.

The form allows for three signatures so the same person does not have to do all three, but the inspection has to be done while it is installed, so the person doing it will stipulate how much is done between visits, so will need to see the trench before the cable goes in, and after it goes in, but before it is back filled, so he can see the sand, and the tiles or tape above and below the cable or ducting.

So to issue a certificate will required the cable to be exposed, of course there has to be a little give and take, so if before laying a tarmac drive a ducting is installed under the drive, the inspector only wants to see either end in most cases. The LABC often do not strictly follow BS7671 they could for example allow you to fit German sockets, which are not allowed by BS7671 but they don't issue an installation certificate, you can get a completion certificate, but only the person/s doing the work can issue an installation certificate. Often the LABC will issue a completion certificate on the strength of an EICR and there is no legal requirement for an installation certificate and it depends on where you live if the work needs registering.

So you may not "NEED" the paperwork, but if you do then you will have to make it out, blank forms are on the IET web site, but looking at around £300 for a tester.

You don't need a certificate, but I'm not sure that cable type and routing is adequate for compliance with the building regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back