Test gas working pressure before new boiler install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.
My elderly mother is considering changing her boiler, only because it is getting a bit old, (it was installed about 25 years ago). It is working ok at the moment. The quotes she has had say that if the (working) pressure at the boiler is not adequate, then new pipework will probably need to be run. Now this will cause a bit of upheaval and she would rather not have the boiler replaced if it means new gas pipework. So, my question is, is there a means for a Gas Safe person to test what the working pressure is without installing a new boiler?

Existing boiler is a Servowarm fed from a short (less than 1 metre) 15mm pipe that joins to a 22mm (or, more likely a 3/4 inch) under the floor above. There is a Gas hob and oven in the kitchen, which is where the boiler is, and there is a gas fire in another room. New boiler would be a Worcester Greenstar 15Ri conventional condensing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Pipe sizing would be very easy for a gas safe engineer to work out, I am sure you could do it as well. In simple terms you need to get gas to the boiler at no more than 1mb drop in pressure from what is at the meter. So what will need to be done is add up all the 22mm pipe and 15mm pipe in meters to the boiler, any elbows and tees need to be taken into account as well, add another .5 Meter for those, and from that you will be able to work out the correct size of pipework required for your new boiler, Of course the other appliances will have to be taken into account as well, but this link probably explains it all a lot better than me!!

http://www.ukcopperboard.co.uk/lite...ion-Tips/Domestic-gas-planning-and-sizing.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back