Testing a room thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've got a room thermostat with 3 connections. How do I test that it's functioning correctly?

Details are:
Model: CTR246
12v - 249v SPDT
16A Contact Rating

Sponsored Links
My parents have got a fault and i'm trying to solve it by eliminating one element at a time.

My parents have got a fault and i'm trying to solve it by eliminating one element at a time.
Good approach ;)

The CTR246 thermostat is made by Elco and sold by CEF

Unfortunately there are no details about this stat online.

Do your parents have electric heating by any chance?

What are the connections to the stat? There are usually two (live and switched live) or three (live, switched live and neutral). There may also be an earth connection.

If you have a volt meter, the live will have 240v all the time while the switched live will only show 240v when the thermostat clicks on (turned up high).

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

How would I test it if it wasn't in place? Can I jest test for resistivity changing?

How would I test it if it wasn't in place? Can I jest test for resistivity changing?
It depends on what you are trying to test?

If you just want to ensure that the contacts close when the dial is turned up and open when the dial is turned down, then you use the resistance range on your meter to check for short circuit (closed) and open circuit (open).

If you want to check that the thermostat is reacting correctly to changes in temperature, then more information would be required about the thermostat. Older thermostats use a bi-metallic strip, which bends as the temperature changes; others use wax, liquid or gas filled bellows. Modern digital thermostats use temperature sensitive solid state devices.

What, exactly, is the problem your parents are having? Someone on this forum may be able to diagnose the fault and save you time. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back