Testing a socket for a spur...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just want to add another socket and the nearest socket to use as a supply seems to be OK to spur from i.e has two pairs of cable coming in. I assume this is off the main ring but I want to be sure its not actually a spur off another spur if you get what I mean. Chances are low but i want to be 100% sure.

So apart from ripping up the floorboards etc to figure it out is there a simple way to test? Sorry for the noob question but its better to be safe than sorry.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
turn off the main switch and check for dead, then do a continuity test using your multimeter (or go up to the high street and invest £10 in one)

If it is on a ring that is not faulty, the reds will have continuity, the blacks will and the earths will.

If it is a spur or radial, the earths might have continuity if there is supplementary bonding, the others will not.

If you can measure resistance on the continuity, that will give extrra clues.

OK cheers for that. Will have to take that away and digest that nugget of information. I have a multimeter but its a cheapo silverline one.

Sponsored Links
You will have to remove the socket before doing the test. ;)
(after the switching off & voltage checks)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back