2 spurs off a ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can you help I currently have one spur coming off a ring and want to add another. I know I have to add a fused spur but does this have to go between the ring socket and the first spur which is there at present or can it go after the first spur but before the second. Also if it goes before can both spurred sockets come off this directly or does one socket connect to the spur then the second socket connect to the first spurred socket. Hope this makes sense
Cheers
Ant

Sponsored Links
if you add a fused connection unit to the ring (you call it a fused spur) you can add as many spurs as you like after it

that will be the 6,000,000 dollar question.

it depends on the size of the cable, 2 x 2.5mm no problem

Sponsored Links
You are not answering my question. If I have a fused spur can i run a 2.5mm cable from the spur to two sockets but not linking the sockets do you know what I mean

Please can you help I currently have one spur coming off a ring and want to add another. I know I have to add a fused spur but does this have to go between the ring socket and the first spur which is there at present or can it go after the first spur but before the second. Also if it goes before can both spurred sockets come off this directly or does one socket connect to the spur then the second socket connect to the first spurred socket. Hope this makes sense
Cheers
Ant

Fused spur will connect directly to the ring final, the two sockets you talk about will connect to the outgoing side of the fused spur.
You can either connect both sockets directly to the fused spur though four t&e cables in a single back box would be tight or you could connect the first socket to the fused spur and second socket to the first socket.
Up to you, each way is fine but realise you have a combined maximum loading of 13A for all 4 outlets.

Rightly (or wrongly?) based on an assumption that twin sockets are being installed.

Then again, we all know to assume generally makes an Ass out of U and Me :D

Thankyou Garymo you have been most helpfull. Done the job anyway now but I actually logged off when the first ever reply i got was off the 6,000,000 dollar man, almost wished i'd never logged on in the first place. Is it always that bad here.

Ant, don't get disheartened, Breezer is a good guy and I can see where he was coming from.
His reply was based on an assumption that your ring final was wired in 2 x 2.5mm. If they were any larger then you could have a problem with certain fused spurs, hence his 6 thousand dollar question (due to the unknown).

Anyway, at least you're sorted now :)

Okay thanks for that I will hang in here a bit longer then. It's just i wasn't likely to wire in 1.5mm or anything smaller than 2.5mm obviously.

Okay thanks for that I will hang in here a bit longer then. It's just i wasn't likely to wire in 1.5mm or anything smaller than 2.5mm obviously.

Actually, you can do just that on the load side of the FCU ;)

Generally only done by cheapskates when the FCU is to supply a socket outlet though!

Ant, don't get disheartened, Breezer is a good guy and I can see where he was coming from.
His reply was based on an assumption that your ring final was wired in 2 x 2.5mm. If they were any larger then you could have a problem with certain fused spurs

I can't see any scope for confusion: Whether incoming or outgong conductors is not relevant. Breezer was saying you could fit 2 x conductors into a terminal as long as they were 2.5mm².

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back