Testing current

kml_58 said:
So one lead clamped to live wire the other to live terminal on immersion? this should give a current reading?
:oops:

It is a bit safer to disconnect the NEUTRAL wire and put the meter in series between the wire and the neutral terminal on the element. Doing it this way will give the same reading but the loose wire is neutral and the more dangerous place where the other meter lead has to go is fixed on the heater assembly and so not moving around.

NOTE the neutral terminal will have live voltage on it via the element when it is not connect to the neutral wire directly or via the meter

Sponsored Links
kml_58 said:
Will get the immersion changed.

p.sThe resistance was about 15 ohms so about right i suppose.

Why change it? If the resistance is ok then there may be no need to. Check the resistance against the Wattage indicated on the immersion and your fuse rating. If it's ok (W=V x V / R) , it may be the thermostat, which is cheaper and much easier to change.

Although 15 Ohms is quite high for a normal immersion so you could be right.

The maximum current the majority of multimeters will measure is 10A so a little low for a 3kw heater so this is not a practical solution to measure in series.It is also hazardous and as you are having to ask then I do not feel you are competant to do it.
Anyway if the resistance of your heater is 15ohms (although it is normally more like 19 - 20 ohms) then I wouldn't suspect that.
Are you getting 240V between the neutral post and the switched side of the thermostat?

Expensive .. but...
Megger MMC850 Multi/Single Core AC Clamp Meter.

Anyone using?
:?:

Sponsored Links
lookinn said:
What you are trying to do is very dangerous. DONT DO IT.

Measuring current is easy enough if you understand the procedure. But, if you don't understand what you're doing (and it's patently clear you don't!) there are three options open to you:

1. LEARN how to do it properly. Means reading books, head hurting, loads of coffee, midnight oil, etc. :(

2. Don't do it. Pay electrician instead. :idea:

3. Have an accident. :mad: Or worse, have someone else sue you for causing an accident. :evil:

(3) is the one to be avoided, preferably.

empip said:
Expensive .. but...
Megger MMC850 Multi/Single Core AC Clamp Meter.

Anyone using?
:?:

Just hire or borrow or buy one of those ... it'll read from the flex to the element .. No need to split cable or open any enclosures.

http://isswww.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?id=4493
Multi / single core a.c. clampmeter
- Single, two or three core cable measurement
- Flat or round section cables
- No need to split wires
- Cable centralising clamp

There's a positive answer.
-

I have a multi core clamp meter which reads very accuratly, and is ideal for this sort of thing.

Not a clue how it works though :LOL:

RF Lighting said:
I have a multi core clamp meter which reads very accuratly, and is ideal for this sort of thing.

Not a clue how it works though :LOL:

It's a camera - FFS ;) :D :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back