Testing Electric Cooker on standard extension cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric cooker (Hotpoint HUE52) that I want to establish has all bits working. I collected it and put it in my garage for cleaning, have tested all by continuity tests, but I supply power normally by standard extension cable, from a normal socket in my maisonette (first floor). I do not have an electric cooker connection in my home, I have gas.

With a circuit breaker at the socket in the garage, and testing only one thing at a time, can I successfully test everything on the cooker?

Sponsored Links
If the total draw of the cooker is 13A or less, then go ahead with your test.....ensure the cable is uncoiled though!
A cheapo ( Oriental) extension may start to get warm, so don't overdo things.
John :)

Sponsored Links
just test one ring or oven at a time, for a short time only.

Ah, that suggests my plan is right, thanks.

It is awkward, but I just need to know everything is fine to then formulate the next part of the plan.

You say that your garage is protected by a circuit breaker but you do not say if that is an mcb or an rcd. Faulty cooker elements can sometimes trip an rcd & this will not show up unless you are using a proper insulation tester to check the elements. You will only know the cooker is safe if you do insulation tests as well as continuity tests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back