Testing Grundfos Selectric UPS 15-50 Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to verify that my Grundfos Selectric UPS 15-50 Pump is operating correctly.

(n.b. I have already confirmed that it hasn't seized, by manually turning the pump through the air vent hole with a screwdriver.)

Are the below steps valid:
  • Cut mains power to house.
  • Open pump to reveal electrical internals (as shown in photo)
  • Disconnect live, neutral, earth cables shown in photo.
  • Connect a bit of 3-core mains flex to the terminals shown in the photograph and wire the other end to a 3-pin mains plug, in a wall socket.
  • Replace pump terminal cover to make it safe.
  • Set my two motorized valves to manually open, so water can flow.
  • Put some towels down.
  • Remove Air Vent Screw (marked in red).
  • Restore mains power to the house.
  • Observe pump: I'm expecting to see rotational movement in the air vent hole and I'm expecting to hear some whirring. Adjusting the speed control should change the pitch of the whirring.

Attachments

• grundfos selectric ups 15-50.jpg
    grundfos selectric ups 15-50.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 98
Sponsored Links
Operating correctly in what way? What’s the underlying issue?

Operating correctly in that it pumps water when supplied with power.
(My underlying issue is that my heating isn't working and I'm trying to independently test each of the components.)

You can do it that way, but if you’re just confirming it’s rotating, you can undo the bleed vent - expect a trickle of water though.

Sponsored Links
just switch the heating on and confirm that the pump is getting power then place a large screwdiver against the pump and the handle end to your ear, you will hear if it is turning

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
My underlying issue is that my heating isn't working
OK, we know that now. You didn't tell us in the earlier thread about the boiler.
If you say what tests you've done so far, and the results, we'd have a better chance of helping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back