Testing hot water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've ripped out our bathroom and want to test the hot water pressure. I've bought a pressure gauge from b & q and attached it to the end of the hot water pipe. When I turn the water supply to the house back on, the needle moves from below zero, to zero.

Surely we must have some water pressure?

Am I doing something wrong? should the needle read zero before I turn the supply back on?

Sponsored Links
do you have a hot water cylinder with a cold tank in the loft ? or a combi boiler or ?

It's a combi,

I found the problem, the needle was getting stuck, I think I've fixed it so it's now reading only 1 bar of pressure, is that normal? We were kind of hoping for at least 1.5 bar for a shower we wanted.

and thats only 1 bar static, dynamic pressure will drop even lower.
whats its like if you run another tap ?

Sponsored Links
I never checked what it did when it dropped.

Is 1 bar normal for output pressure from a combi? I always thought the pressure out of the combi should be the same as the mains?

Our cold water flows much quicker than the hot

the combi restricts the flow, the pressure will be on the hot will very slightly lower than the incoming cold (because of the loss across the heat exchanger) it sounds like you mains water pressure is very low if you only have 1 bar static

The gauge doesn't fit on the outside tap, I'll have to buy something to make it fit.

I've done a small test; it takes 4 seconds to output 1 litre from a cold water tap, yet it takes 8 seconds to output a litre from a hot water tap.

Our boiler is a 4 month old Potteron Performa HE30

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back