Testing Thermocouple

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Apollo 30/50B gas boiler. It will not ignite, see my other post regarding this. Bought a new thermocouple, still no joy. The new one has crimping marks, thought this might interfere with its conductivity. Is it possible to test the thermocouple to see if working? Perhaps with a voltmeter?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I have a Apollo 30/50B gas boiler. It will not ignite, see my other post regarding this. Bought a new thermocouple, still no joy. The new one has crimping marks, thought this might interfere with its conductivity. Is it possible to test the thermocouple to see if working? Perhaps with a voltmeter?

Yes there is a test, but you would know that seeing as you may have affected the integrity of the appliance by fitting the TC, also you should know that the O/H stat should be checked too, i assume you may ask why?.

Sponsored Links
The thermocouple provides a current to hold open the gas valve. The voltage produced is very low although it can supply a fair amount of current.
As mentioned above does the pilot light at all???
I had an old gemini combi years ago and i had two gas valves fitted to rectify a similar problem. On examination both times the electromagnet wiring had become disconnected inside the valve... Maybe the same with yours?

Difficult territory here.....i am assuming (correct me if i am wrong) you are not gas qualified (ACS, CORGI?)technically a thermocouple is a safety device and as such should be fitted by an RGI.......however, it appears you have already gone ahead and tried to fit a new one and not resolved your problem.

Get a professional in to fix the boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back