testing Underfloor heating cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
following on from an earlier thread,

I would like to be able to tile over the floor area,having laid heating cable and probe,but unfortunately the controller/thermostat was damaged,so have been unable to check that the cable is ok.and will be some time before i receive the replacement

I have confirmed that the resistance is within the manufactures spec, is this enough to assure me that the cable is ok..not damaged,or is there a way to confirm that the cable is operating ok with out the controller

Sponsored Links
Yes- if you can confirm that it's fed with mains voltage - 230v.
Put a one or two bar fire in series with the floor wire and mains -take great care you don't touch any bare wires etc. See if the floor warms ok- partial warmth. You can just check the continuity with just a 100 watt bulb instead of the fire. (make sure you know it's in SERIES) :rolleyes:

thanks for the reply,not sure i fully understand it thou!!!
When you state electric fire, where do i connect the cables to?
it is the single cable type,with two wires to connect into the controller.i have already tested continuity on the two cold feed cables,but it does not register.it just gives me a reading in the multimeter.

Sponsored Links
Jacko, I am just suggesting using a sort of 'soft' start to the floor element-about half the normal current is what I would aim for.
Estimate the total wattage of the element and try to match that in say an electric fire put into the mains feed circuit in series. If you have a junction box with say 6 terminals, and you can temporarily take off the fire plug and wire in the cables to this taking up 2 terms and a mains plug (on a cable) another 2 terms and finally the two element wires. You should be able to work out 'all in series' configuration easily. Care you don't 'short' the mains plug! And don't leave this setup lying around after!! Totally undo. This should be the only test without the control, even this could void your guarantee. (Don't touch any bare metal!- no earthing. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back