testing????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

1.I'm a bit confused about what should be tested and when. If i install a security light for example from a fcu i need to complete an electrical installation certificate. correct? do i also need to attach a copy of the schedule of inspections and schedule of test results??? And if I do then what exactly do i test? do i just test the circuit which i've made alterations to and record the results or do i test the whole installation??

2.if i was changing a consumer unit do i then complete a electrical installation cert along with the inspections and test results? and do i test the complete installation as i've changed the protective devices for every circuit?

im currently just doing jobs for friends in the run up to getting my part p and im getting very stressed trying to get my head around everything there is to know.

all help or advice greatly appreciated

cheers Dan

Sponsored Links
Assuming you're an electrician does this mean you've never tested anything or completed any certificates?

Guidance Notes 3 is a really good book which will tell you most of what you need to know with regards to Inspection and Testing.

BTW Security light from existing FCU? If so then Minor Works Certificate.

Consumer Unit change - Electrical Installation Certificate covering the board and all existing circuits.

all I have done so far really is minor works and im fine with the paperwork for that. my main concern is what to test. If i installed a security light and had to add a fcu to an existing ring do i need to test that whole circuit only?? and do i just fill out the inspection check list and only put the ring main ive added to on the test results page??

its just really to help me plan my time. if i was asked to install a consumer unit for someone then id be there all day. half day to install and half day to test.is this how its done??

but the main question is do i just test the circuit ive worked on and record results??

cheers dan

its just really to help me plan my time. if i was asked to install a consumer unit for someone then id be there all day. half day to install and half day to test.is this how its done??

How long is a piece of string?
Each job can vary - you might have to upgrade bonding, extend cables, pre-test, fault find, label up/drawings, wait for DNO to turn up to pull fuse.

Sponsored Links
Change a cu then you need to complete an EIC & yes thats test every circuit on that board.

For MWC just test the circuit you've worked on then issue MWC.

Whenever you add/extend a circuit then the whole circuit must be tested as the more cable you add then the higher the resistance thus meaning your R1+R2 for said circuit will have increased.

How long is a piece of string?
Each job can vary - you might have to upgrade bonding, extend cables, pre-test, fault find, label up/drawings, wait for DNO to turn up to pull fuse.

Who waits for DNO to pull fuse ????

Break seal, remove fuse (health & safety), do work re-seal or notify board to re-seal.

Who waits for DNO to pull fuse ????

Break seal, remove fuse (health & safety), do work re-seal or notify board to re-seal.

We HAVE to. It's gross misconduct not to.

Plus, I personally have been threatened by the MEB with prosecution in a case where I had permission from my manager (in an emergency) to pull their fuse.

Well 10 years ago our area Electrical authority gave all NICEIC Approved Contractors seals to re-seal the meter or cut-out fuse.

They acknowledged that responsible contractors could and would use the seals if provided.
This saved them the problem of seals being broken and left and having to attend each time to re-seal.

I was given 1000 and still have around 500 left, so should see me good until I retire.

Hmmmm, MEB, they once asked why 25mm Tails had not been used on a Wylex 106, 45A, 1 Way Switch Fuse ???

Try they don't fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back